Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Rules and Decisions » SOL RULES OF RACING

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

I am not a "contender" for podium honours, as my record of results clearly shows. In fact,my main competition is "Rod2", with whom I seem to 'share' my boat. He does some stupid things, like failing to note the start times of races, failing to analyse the future wind conditions along possible courses, sleeping, running aground while sleeping, failing to use VMC, etc., etc.. I keep trying to educate him, but often fail.
I am probably like the majority of SOLers, in that I do try to do my best. But I also get discouraged when I observe clusters of the same boats, far in the lead, in race after race. I do not use a router, because I wish to exercise my own brain, not that of the router writer.
I can only encourage SOL to develop a more complete Sailboat Racing Program. I realize that this requires the work of expert programmers (I am not), and perhaps increased server capacity. However, all mention of such work appears to be devoted to elaborating the rank order of the various Championships for SYC members only. Very few of us are actually in the group of potential "podium-ists", and are seemingly not "in" the private club.
If SOL is to expand its number of players, some thought needs to be devoted to the 'casual' player, who will probably never be invited to be 'Navigator' on an ocean racing yacht.
It is in this spirit that I wish to see improvements in the SOL 'system', which include clarity in the Rules for fair competition.
This is not intended in any way as criticism of the existing operations, but as an encouragement to keep improving SOL as a place where we can "sail".
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
@ Rod

I fully agree with your sentiments , and can confirm that within today's constraints everything possible is made to improve the platform ( btw Markku and his team have already made miracles and are presently working on a number of highly innovative projects , whilst others are working in re-styling the website).

I am not one of the tech guys. What I do with Championships and rankings ( you are right about time investment there ;) ) is aimed to reward those who support SOL with SYC membership , whilst the game is still very free for everyone ( I have sent lots of medals and awards to non SYC members for single Championship race results ).

There is a number of Solers who are not particularily fond of rankings . That is fully acceptable.

@ Huib

You are right ...It does not say SLI jumping is forbidden . It only implies that we are working towards enforceability of avoidance . I suggest that it would be the right time to exercise avoidance ;)

Piero
;)
Hi,

Great work.

I think the proposed rules are fine and I'm not going to enter the discussion about boat-sitting but I'm curious as to how you intend to identify if it is me or a different person on the helm?

As I travel quite a bit in my work and thus sign in from different countries from time to time the IP addresses you detect on me will vary. Will that be seen as different skippers then?

Kind regards,
Lolla
Hi Lolla,

I personally think that this is bit similar as in real life detecting is a boat using engine or not.

First of all, sailing is gentleman's sport and everyone is expected to follow the rules, especially now that they are being clarified.

If there is a reason to suspect that someone is not following the rules, the issue can be raised, most probably by some fellow racers just like in real life.

Race committee (or possibly umpires) will then ask from the technical admins for possible evidence and then the committee will decide on action based on this.

I will not go into details of the technical possibilities available but you are correct that there can be cases where boatsitting might be impossible to identify for sure, especially considering the resources we have.

I trust that most of us are here however not for trying to stretch the rules but to enjoy the game fairly.
Boatsitting seems to be 'Grandfathered' in from times past when informality was more prevalent. That does not however make this practice consistent with fair competition. This needs to be said & acknowledged. Not that I expect it to alter the landscape of acceptability in these environs.

Since in order to steer another boat a new browser window must be opened & logged into would it be too much to ask that there be a Race thread in the Forum where the sitter posts when taking over the helm ? This would be more openly transparent.

Secondarily I also propose that sitters be restricted to managing DCs left by the absent party. Such that if said boat BBQs that it could be sent on it way again along an analogous course but not prevented. Timings of DCs could also be modified to adjust for Wx updates or if a mark is cut short then it would be permissible to round it correctly and then returned to a course previously indicated by the DC list. This would keep the boat alive but would prohibit active racing by another's hand.

These terms would be easier to adjudicate based on activity that goes beyond what the DCs called for.

--- Last Edited by A2 at 2015-01-19 00:51:02 ---
None so blind
I think it is great the rules get formalised and compiled into one clear document, and the rules look good to me.

The only comment I have is SLI jumping, the current formulation is quite ambiguous and as such does not provide much additional value. The current formulation gives the impression that SLI jumping is allowed, but not considered recommendable behavior, a mixed message, which should not have a place in a rule book.

I think it is clear to everyone jumping is done at own risk. If you don't want to forbid SLI jumping, I'd leave that out altogether. On the other hand, as I've stated earlier elsewhere, I would not oppose forbidding SLI jumping, and it could easily be enforced through the umpire system. You either explicitly allow it, explicitly forbid it, or don't mention it in the rules.

As a side note, so long as SLI jumping is not explicitly forbidden, I will consider it allowed and I will utilise it to the extent I see it useful. I hope I will not be considered a cheater because I do something allowed by the rules.
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right.
Fixing of SLI hopping is on the agenda of the tech administrators, especially now that we have more manpower.

As we are all volunteers and the new members are still learning things no schedule for this can be promised, but I'd be surprised if it won't happen this year.

There obviously will be an announcement when this change takes place. As it will be a server-wide change in the sailing engine let's see if it can be scheduled completely between races.
Why no forbid SLI jumping immediately and enforce it through the umpire system? I think that would be a good way to test the umpire system, and we would get rid of one of the issues causing disagreement and discussion.
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right.
Once again I agree with Karriv.
Still, one issue is missing.

If you make the rule, give power to the UMPIRE to act but, don’t have a penalty rule written to be applied in those circumstances, it won’t be useful at all.

I put for discussion my suggestion for jumping over land penalty, to be applied in every kind of race to everyone (SYC or non SYC member) and per race.

First time: 1hr added to the boat finishing time.
Second time: 2hrs added to the boat finishing time.
Third time: DNF.

After #3 races (consecutive or not) with penalty DNF’s - or to say reiterated unsportsmanlike behavior - banning from SOL.
Sail Fair.
Perhaps the real penalty for land-jumping should be a much higher perf loss for misjudging it and going aground---something like a perf loss of 100% for grounding instead of the present 20%. I realize that many will protest that this penalty is too high---but it is much more realistic for running aground IRL.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client