Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Public testing new HTML5 client

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Settings are saved by the client. But there are caveats.

If your browser (in the name of privacy) clears the local storage there's little the client can do to preserve them.

In addition, if you use race1.sailonline.org, race2.sailonline.org, etc. style URLs for multiracing, the settings will be saved per URL rather than shared.

--
i.
Nice job techs. Will take a bit of getting used to from my side... and not having been on SOL for some time it's a big user interface change straight up. Will play around with it a bit and see what's what.
I like to talk a lot... sometimes I even make sense, mostly not...
Morning team and again well done.
A suggestion for the html client:
Could we have a toggle button on the screen that removes all tracks except the official tracks. In some instances (i.e multiple tours, or passing by or around the same locations) there are too many tracks on the screen and it gets confusing when playing on a small media.

Just a suggestion.

Bon vent
Altair 505
Hi Kroppyer. Please can I ask you to put on the To-Do list a colour selection option for the Predictor line. Henrys has colour blindness and the colour definition is not good for his eyesight. Many Thanks
George
A new version of the client will be published shortly. You can already try it out by appending ?version=dev to the URL of a race.

In case this new version does not work for you, let us know. You can use the old version by appending ?version=old to the URL of a race, even after the new version has been published.

To summarize:
Right now:
old: sailonline.org/breezy/run/xxxx/?version=old
old: sailonline.org/breezy/run/xxxx/
new: sailonline.org/breezy/run/xxxx/?version=dev

After update:
old: sailonline.org/breezy/run/xxxx/?version=old
new: sailonline.org/breezy/run/xxxx/
new: sailonline.org/breezy/run/xxxx/?version=dev

EDIT: I have now updated the client.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2020-04-11 11:26:38 ---
I like the new design for the weather forecast where you can play a clip of the weather development. The default steps are set to 3 hours?
I would suggest it to be set to 1 hour, unless there is a special explanation for the 3 hours step.

Many thanks....
/SKOVSER
Is it possible to get the date and time of the version, together with the version identifier in Misc.

Thanks....
/SKOVSER
hi...I am a newbie and not a SYC member (yet)...and I did only one race yet...and this might have been brought up before...but:
Two things I noticed and they bothered me a lot:
1) why does the timepoint for the course change programmation not stay at the point where the course change should take place? as it is now it is impossible to check where you course change takes place which makes the tool halfway useless
2) why does the predictor not take into account programmed course changes? this makes it impossible to program several course changes after another

I need to work and I need to sleep and I have a family and a life, so I cant be online 24/7 ... and with the tools as they are in the moment its virtually impossible for me to have any chance in competing because constant attention is required.

maybe all this is intentional; if not, some improvements to enable better control over tacks/gybes/course changes and easier Programmation / better visualization would go a long way to enable "normal" players to be able to compete...

thanks...oliver

Blog post "New HTML5 client"

Today a button appeared above the usual "GO TO RACE" button. This new button reads "New HTML5 client" and clicking it brings you to the new HTML5 client. You may have heard the rumours that this new client was under development and will eventually replace the Flash client we are used to. As Flash is being phased out it is becoming increasingly difficult to use sailonline in new browsers, so it is vital to have an alternative. Let me take this opportunity to thank our SOLer ij, who has been responsible for the existence of this new client, brightening the future of sailonline.

We are now making this new HTML5 client available for everyone to use. Be aware that the client is still in a testing phase and that there may still be some bugs and problems with it. The user interface and general functionality are mostly the same as in the Flash client, but you may notice some differences, for example:
- There are no contour lines indicating wind strength. The client is not completely finished yet and this is one aspect where work is still being done.
- The TWA input field for steering requires a + or - sign. This should prevent some of the accidental tacks we have probably all experienced when we forgot the - sign.
- You can monitor multiple chatrooms at the same time. You can now use the chatrooms English and the one for your native language at the same time!
A longer list of changes can be found here. Use that chat and forum to talk with each other about using the new client and its new features. Some SOLers already have some experience with it and may be able to give you some tips and tricks.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2020-01-11 18:35:57 ---

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2020-02-19 12:26:10 ---

Thank you freudenoli for your feedback and welcome to sailonline! Feedback from newcomers is much appreciated. The new client is much like the old client in design and functionality. It seems a proven design and it's what the regular solers are used to. But of course we need to make sure that people just joining in are able to find their way in the new client as well. You will spot things we regular solers may not even notice.

1) The orange dot on the predictor line indicates the point where the command will execute based on your preliminary settings. You have yet to actually send that command by pressing the button "send command". The orange dot is indeed not useful for determining when/where the next registered command will execute. You can however see in the top right of the map how long to go until the next command, and then set that number on the "delay" box to move the orange dot to the time (and location) when the next command would execute.

2) At this moment, the only reason why the predictor line does not take into account the scheduled commands is because the old client also did not do this. It is the way it has always been and at this point we do not want to create a big competitive difference between the two clients. Once the new client will be the official client and the old Flash client just a backup, we will have the discussion with our members about changes as significant as this. It will change the game (at least a bit), so I believe it's fair to discuss it with you all before we make a decision.

An indicator on the predictor line where the next scheduled command would take place, as you suggested in your first comment, is probably a small enough change that it should not lead to any controversy or competitive difference between the old and new client. We'll keep it in mind!

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2020-06-12 22:34:49 ---
A new version was published just now. In general, updates may come unannounced as long as we are in the development stage. Below is some information on what to do if an update does not work for you.

There are three versions of the client: normal, dev and old. The last two are available if you append "?version=dev" and "?version=old" to the url. Normal is available as usual, without appending anything to the url.
The dev version is regularly updated and used for testing. It will likely contain new features, but also new bugs.
The normal version is only updated occasionally and should be mostly free of bugs.
The old version is available for when an update to the normal version turns out to contain a crucial bug. Then at least you can use the old version.

Should you (after an update) find a bug that makes the normal version unusable for you, append "?version=old" to use the previous version of the client. Do let us know about the problem so we can look for a solution.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2020-06-12 22:34:45 ---

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1576
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client