Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » 5 Feb Client is BACK! - available as a 'Beta'

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

After problems encountered by a few SOLers in loading the new client release, it is back up!
Available to all, simply by specifying they want to use the beta client in the address bar of the race URL.

:-) :-) YAY! WOOOOOOT! YAH! :-) :-)

When you open a race, the url shown in the address bar of your browser will end with something like:

windy/run/283/#

Now, replace the '#' character with '?beta=true' and hit Enter. SOL will send you the latest client to load. (You do not need to wait for 1st to finish loading to direct your browser to load the Beta)
So the end of the race page url now looks like:

windy/run/283/?beta=true

Enjoy the new client, and please use the special forum thread for posting about loading problems - here.
Please do not post about loading (any?) errors in the main 'Client Update (5Feb)' thread - which is intended for discussion and to answer any questions.
Located here, this thread also provides a comprehensive list of changes in this new version, which it is recommended that you read well.
Indeed copying the content to a text editor and Printing may be a very good idea.

Our apologies are extended to those who are unable to load this client version due to the issues detailed in this forum thread - but rest assured we are working to resolve the issue.
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
You can also see the new 'In-Race Notification' feature at work in the new client, due to the change of course!
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Here is a quick bookmark hack using javascript to make switching to the beta client easier. I have testing it in Chrome and Internet Explorer, but it may not work in all browsers...

Make a Bookmark (of anything) - on your bookmarsk toolbar, or somewhere readily accessible. Now edit the bookmark (right click it and select 'Edit' or 'Properties') and rename it 'Switch to SOL Beta', then copy the text below, exactly and in its entirety, into the URL field of the bookmark:

javascript:{var z=window.location.href; window.location.href=z.substring(0, z.length-1)+"?beta=true"}

To use it, just load the race as normal - ie click 'Go To Race' over on the right here, then when the page starts to load - click the new bookmark - and the page will reload with the new (beta) client.

Hope this helps!

[Edit: Ctrl-D makes a new bookmark in just about any browser]

--- Last Edited by Aaron Gage at 2012-02-17 14:18:00 ---
Hi everybody,
My computer is running on mac os x 10.7.2, i just tried the beta version and everything works fine, have to say that it worked already last week when the new client was online, nice job AGage.
Mac users who already upgraded to os x 10.7.3. could have some problems, look the tread of Nor Careka, but that can be solved.
Ciao,
Lou
Looks good.
I only have one wish though, change the colour on the instrumentpaneltext from green to a flourescent red/orange.
It mixes in with the weather on the chart too much now.
Another new feature in Weather seems to have magically appeared - Just what I wanted!

If you have the pointer on the screen and move the weather slider by keyboard arrows (or with the animated mode).. the wind speed/direction readouts constantly update now. Very useful to see if wind is backing/veering, increasing/decreasing etc.

On the previous client the weather information was static during the weather slider move (until you wiggled the mouse pointer a little). Thanks!
Yes ybw_mjm, one of the small things I forgot in writing the forum post detailing changes. You can also park the cross-hair on a mark or headland you are approaching at the distance will update when your boat moves to ;-)
There are obviously big benefits with this new client, and I very much look forward to trying it. It would be nice though to get some feedback from Admin regarding the problems that's been reported?

I also would like to post a Protest (is there a formal way of doing that here?).

As some of us are still unable to load it due to the bugs, I'm wondering why it has not been turned off again? There is a race starting in 2 days and this new client is an unfair advantage! Practice sailing with it should be stopped and it should not be available for the race unless the problems are fixed in ample time for the whole fleet to try it out first!
There is only one problem being reported. It is known why it happens, but not why it only effects a few SOLers.

I'm not so sure this client offers a racing advantage, & if it does it is not significant (I have been using it in development stages for a number of races), and turning it off will not help solve the problem and making it available for all.

It is made available as a 'beta version' which means it is not yet ready for stable release, ergo there may be problems
Come on Aaron, you know better than that! If it's not possible for everyone to use it, it shouldn't be allowed. (Actually, your previous results with it should be removed from ranking and official result lists). Nor does it matter if the advantage is significant or not. Based on what you say the new client can do, it's clearly an advantage and it should be banned immediately.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
April 24 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client