Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Races » Lac Manicouagan Rond

" Platu Barada Nikto "
None so blind
A2R - There's no limit to what Gort could do, so sailing would be simple but robots are outlawed on SOL. :-)
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.
ManicLac-2013

Knowing I would be travelling all day Sunday, I decided I’d start the manic race anyway. “In for a penny, in for a pound”. Not really my motto for life, but hey ho.

From the get-go we all knew it was all going to be about cornering aka BBQ-avoidance. As a learner-SOLer I am of the opinion, I can still improve on this. I have a tool to assist me, but, as this race proved, there are some real cornering-pro’s in our fleet, particularly one or two of direct descent.

The other feature of the race, as it was nearly bound to be in such restricted waters, was the need to tack/gybe regularly when the course took us up- or downwind. As this invariably had to be done in a strongly bending wind with inevitably a coast on the inside of the bend, the frequency of such tacks at gybes demonstrated by some competitors was stupendous. Again chapeau the Irish and also eventual winner A2R! I didn’t indulge in this, and to be honest I’m still not convinced the shorter distance sailed thus obtained compensates for the performance losses ditto. Certainly when it goes accompanied by quick but regular BBQs, has to be debateable.

Anyway, after a few good tacks, I got the fourth or fifth one wrong, BBQd briefly and was thus fairly immediately out of the van into the pack. She who must be obeyed not being happy I was doing three races simultaneously, at 2400 UTC I set some DCs, prayed and went to bed. They worked well. How that happened and what the wind did I have no idea. But, like in IRL, the mistakes of others dragged me up the table.

On Sunday as I travelled down the M1, A14, M11 and M20 to Dover, I stopped every now and then to execute a manoeuvre via a restaurant wifi. I kept gaining, whilst the race kept getting longer (in the dimension time), taking it into Monday morning. How good it is not to have to go to work anymore!

And so, it came to pass, as I head for the last corner before the finish, that our world champion Rumskib made a rare mistake and took his eye off the course for a bit of shuteye to let me through to what is looking like a 7th place finish; my best to-date. Thank you all for daring to race this boathandlers-only course with me. And congratulations to A2R and the other two ‘podi-ists’ RhodeRunner and NelsonMoore (was there some teamwork involved, Nelson?) for a display of true stamina.

hope this attaches

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-12-02 10:07:04 ---
Clipping along
Attachments
Fab!!! thank you :-)

I will upload what you have written into you post and then can link to your post after putting the first para or so into the results blogpost!

Merci - danke viel mal!

Lac Manicouagan from space (STS009)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-12-02 10:28:45 ---

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-12-02 10:29:29 ---
Attachments
Yohann, fantastic result especially considering your travelling.

Just to answer your question re teamwork, there was none involved between the Irish boats, in fact we both had some bbq's !

Congrats to everyone who finished the race - it turned into a very long 138nm !
you are not joking about the race stretching out. still a fun little race. no bbq's on my end, but I think my helmsman fell asleep a few times and drifted off course to the unfavored side while heading south on the east side of the island...
Nelson, thx, and well done you too. The thing was those first few hours, it just seemed uncanny how you and the Fakhir/Fecker/Wh'ever were tacking in sync along those hostile (Indians!?) shores, being mates and Irish and all. But I guess it was just all those years of training dodging the tides!
Clipping along
Gator, hi. If only we didn't need to sleep and could multi-ask habitually, and.. etc. X2X race is easier on the daily lefe, s o f a r !?
Clipping along
Yohann

my biggest problem with the long cross the ocean type races is i over think the weather and then forget about the race and end up bobbing the ocean going 1-2 knots since I forgot to check in on it...

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client