Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Windward/leward olympic triangle

How about doing a short race using a standard windward/leward course. There are several variations, but a fun one might be a windward triangle followed by windward/leward or "olympic triangle".

The trick here is that the RC would need to be on duty just prior to the race in order to set the marks relative to the wind direction.

It might be fun to try these races in different areas, perhaps using America's Cup boats in AC venues (Newport, Fremantle, San Diego, Auckland, Valencia, San Francisco).

Thoughts?

Zowee
I think it would be great fun, personally, but as SOL is designed for longer ocean races, the change in performance of the server with short high-zoom ones can annoy a lot of people! When traversing oceans the "jump" of boats is insignificant but when one is closely zoomed in (as in the unofficial practice racing) it is crucial to accept that boat-jumping is going to be very visible.

I think its great fun to do short races so I would love to take up your suggestion.

zowee - if you look at the list of boat-types in SOL at present (a sticky at the top of this Forum contains the list) maybe you would identify which boat types are missing that would be good and we can get working on sourcing the polars.

Also... we would need waypoint coordinates (in decimal degrees/minutes) for the individual courses.

You have my vote!! :-D
A triangle course could be setup on large enough scale to work well with the SOL engine. The diagram shows the basic layout and angles. You can also introduce land features to make it more challenging and interesting. For example, make the windward leg distance 100 miles and placing an island in the middle of the windward leg.

The only challenge that I see is placing the course relative to true wind. Just as a RL race, you would ideally want to set the windward mark just prior to the race start.
Attachments
zowee - placing or moving a mark is doable up to 5 mins before a race starts to that wouldn't be a problem (so long as I am around anyway!!).

If you wanted realism, perhaps we could create ourselves some historic AC courses based on the locations the races were held? That would be easy enough to do... and THEN... maybe 76T or the other polar gurus on SOL could supply us with the polars of two/three competing boats.. so we could race it in the AC defender boat or one of two challengers (if there were more than one)!!

What do you think?

I agree with the triangular shape courses. There is no need for a perfect against the wind leg though.

The old AC 12meters had a narrow polar with a very defined optimum VMG angle, either upwind or downwind.

I suspect that with a perfect olympic triangule here on SOL, we would finish the race with several boats tie or within seconds of each other.

The challenge of racing here (on SOL) is to predict where you should be some time in the future to catch the wind shift, and keep on doing this consistent until the finish line. If we take the wind shifts or minimize them by shorthen the race that challenge goes away.

The Olympic races are very short in duration and in perfect or near perfect wind direction. The objective is to test the boat handling skills of the crew and the "right-of-way" racing rules. In those type of races you want to be in clear air and with preference at the marks all the time and do the tacks and gybes with precision.

Here on SOL we test our ability to predict wind shifts AND our ability to be there at the right time.

I do agree with you that triangular shaped courses are always interesting in the sense that opens more opportunities for the boats behind to catch up and the boats ahead to loose.

By triangular shape I mean start and finish in the same general area and 1 or 2 waypoints in between.

Think about how fun it was the round-England-Ireland, The Oshkosh race, the races in Sweden, the Texada islands race in Vancouver. They were ALL very exciting and nail biting till the end.

They all had in a way or another the same general characterists; start and finish near the same location and a few WP to pass.

The fact that those races didn't start exactly with the wind in the nose did not dimished the challenge at all.

Sail on,
Antonio

The problem with Triangle-Windward-Leeward-Windward, (later 12m AC course,) is that the legs overlap and make the course too hard to see.

Real races physically moved the Windward Mark to adjust while they were in progress.

My greatest coup in journalism, was one AC Defender's Trial when I recognized this. We only had a dozen spectator boats anywhere near us at the Finish. :)
As I mentioned, someone in the RC would need to be available to set the windward (and gybe) marks prior to the start of the race. It would not be practical to manage a course change during the race, however.

To handle the problem of overlapped legs you simply place multiple marks at the same location.

It's not a perfect solution, but would be fun to try some time.

BTW news, I attended several AC 12M races in Newport, and was somewhat of an AC groupie back in the 70's and early 80's when you could walk right up to see the boats at the dock or on lifts.

zowee

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client