Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » Is there a test server?

Here is the situation: twice now I've loaded up my course prior to a race start (6/8 hours before)than log in a few hours after the start to find that I'm still at the starting line. The first time I figured it was cockpit error, maybe didn't covert the time correctly or something.

This time (start of SWR leg 3) I was careful to verify course and time. Heading 30 minutes prior to 10:00z was set to 33 degrees, again at 10:00:01z (just in case) another course set of 33 degrees. There were multiple course updates after that.

When I woke this morning and checked the progress I was still at the starting line. I can see that my list of changes had been executed up to the current time but I was still in irons at the start. I manually set my course and it started fine and auto course changes are being executed now without an issue.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how this could happen. I'm certain I read in the manual that after the toe back to the start area (1 hour prior to the start) that course headings could be entered and the boat would hold that position until the start. Just to make sure this time I didn't even do practice racing prior to the start so I was already in the starting area.

The fact that the course change list had incremented leads me to think this is server side but even if the headings prior to the start time were ignored (and I doubt they were)the 10:00:01 and following headings should have worked.

On the other hand, I don't see how this could be client side because the the course was loaded via Brainaid's DC editor and the client listed the course in the course list.

SO, Is there a test server/race anywhere where I can set up starts to try and duplicate/debug this anomaly OR does anyone have any suggestions why this might have happened and how to avoid it in the future?

Bruce

--- Last Edited by bc at 2012-01-14 15:38:41 ---
Hi bc - sorry to hear you are having problems with start DCs. I am not on the Devt/Tech side but I can confirm that there isn't a test side for SOLers to use.. practising setting DCs during pre-race practice is always good and can highlight issues. Needing to set start DCs for the informal evening short practice races really sorts out problems!

Best I can suggest is, apart from your joining in Practice Races, that for your next race you upload your start DC, refresh the DC tab so they are all listed completely in SOL and then take a screenshot.

Then... if you can't see anything amiss and your DCs fail to start you, you have a pic of what was set to post here in Forum.

More than one pair of eyes is always good!

I think you know this but its worth resaying for others to be reminded... the DC you set for your race start MUST be firing within the 1hr towback time or precisely at the start-time for it to fire correctly. So, for example, if race start is 1000utc.. then your DC must be set to fire from 0901 to 1000utc on race day for your boat to start at 1000utc.

It is always frustrating when one can't find out what is happening... but rest assured.. we've all been there!! There will be an answer and we will find out what it is :-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-01-14 20:46:31 ---
Hi RainbowChaser,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did know about having to have a DC set within the hour of start. I set mine for 30 minutes before. Again, its probably cockpit issues, if it were a server bug I wouldn't be the only one experiencing it. The screen shot is a great idea for next time around.

I didn't know about "evening practice races" though. Are they announced somewhere? That would be ideal for testing.

Thanks again for the help. Hope you catch your rainbow, saw one end over an Irish pub once. Didn't find a pot of gold but the beer was really good :)
bc, Try this.... on the home page it has a countdown to the start of the next race.
For example if it says 6 hours to go, set your DC to start the race in 5.5 hours,
So set it for 30 mins before what ever it says.

OR, When setting DC use the clock on the instrument panel.
You don't have to convert any time then.
Remember if the race starts at 10.00 utc you don't try and convert it so your DC goes off at 10.00 your time.

--- Last Edited by mustang_sally at 2012-01-16 18:10:50 ---

--- Last Edited by mustang_sally at 2012-01-16 18:16:42 ---
bc - evening practice races are a very informal affair but everyone is v welcome to join in!

If you go back to the Forum main page you will find one called "Practice Racing"...and if you have a look at what has gone before you will get an idea of how they work.

V sociable, great chance to practise a new polar/how to SOL... the races are in the UTC evenings during pre-race practice and start close-ish to SOL start so folks can join in.

There are also some Notes on how to race posted in the Forum - they are pretty much up to date but, as I say, it is all fairly relaxed - folks can join in halfway etc!

Look forward to seeing you there!!

:-)
At my current position, the upper right of the screen shows the wind at 3.5 kn @ 41.3 deg, while the bar across the bottom shows 5.23 Kn @ 357.78, both at my boat position. Is there some problem here or am I mis-reading something?

p.s. When I got back to my boat from the forum page, the wind speed had corrected itself so that both indications were reading the same. Is this normal?

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2012-01-20 17:46:39 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.

--- Last Edited by NZL_undercover at 2012-01-21 16:00:50 ---

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2012-01-21 18:31:41 ---
The same phenomenon occurred again--refreshing the screen eliminated it--does this mean that screen info is unreliable unless immediately following a refresh???

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2012-01-21 20:15:59 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Hi Rod - maybe check you system clock, which can introduce small errors.

The instruments come straight from the server, so are correct. The calculation for the cursor is done by your own computer, so the clock settings make a difference. In fast shifts and in particular areas on the map you can sometimes see mismatches, but for the most part you can ignore them.

The other thing that might be going on is that the instruments are showing "old" data due to a slow connection. I've had a few issues with dropping the connection to SOL this year (You can monitor using advanced browser tools). Refresh always fixes it.

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client