Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Discussion » Performance loss

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last

Post annotated by RainbowChaser :
This thread was moved from the category General Discussion.
I think most of this is quite general knowledge by the more active solers but to clarify things, I want this to be general knowledge:

1. Performance loss percentage when tacking/gybing is half of your boat speed after the tack/gybe. I.e. if you gybe to an angle where the boatspeed would be 20kts, the perf loss would be 10% and boat performance will be 90%.

2. When not changing tacks, the performance loss is much less and depends on the amount of turn + the boat speed after the turn.

3. The performance loss is cumulative, however if your performance is less than 93% the additional turns or tacks will not cause more loss.

4. The performance gain is logarithmical, i.e. gain from 90->91 is much faster than 99->100.

In my opinion, as this facts have been mentioned many times in chats, so they are sort of general knowledge. They probably should be in the manual as well.

And, during my latest run in Kerguelen Timed race, knowing rules 1. and 3. during my gybe near Cap Digby was important.
If I understand you correctly, you gybed to a square run (minimising Boat Speed after the gybe) so as to reduce your performance loss (Rule 1). With the performance loss then >93% you hardened up to optimum negative VMG without incurring any additional penalty (rule 3).
I am lucky to be within a minute of you as I slammed my boat into the gybe with a penalty I carried most of the way down the East Coast of the island.
Thanks for the education.

--- Last Edited by Go4iT at 2013-10-12 07:12:16 ---
In view of some comments on the chat regarding this discussion of the Perf Loss problem, I would like to clarify my position. I did not know about the "93% Rule" before now, although I have both inquired and commented upon the problem several times over the last 2-3 yrs.
'hmm' obviously did know, as he has stated it here. But I do ask--"How did he know?" ---unless he had read the code or been told by someone who HAD read the programming code. How many others had such private knowledge? I know that I 'sail' here as precisely as I can, yet find others achieving speeds of which I seem incapable.
Yours, for a level playing field,
Rod.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Rod - most people find things out by practising themselves and testing the polars to see how they perform. The person who taught me to do this, NZL Spindrift, isn't often SOLing these days but he would spend ages in pre-race practice to-ing and froing and working it out. He also taught me the concept of "averaging" when calculating DCs.

Sadly, most of the hints/tips I have acquired I have forgotten through lack of use as I now spend all my time doing Admin type stuff.

Aaron, for example, made copious notes on each race - that is why his "new" GUI has a notes function associated with it.

A lot of finding out about SOL isn't stuff that anyone is acquiring secretly, most of it is in plain sight and, you are right, it would be great to have tips/hints all listed.... maybe you would do this.. act as a scribe here for any/all the hints/tips you have acquired through being on SOL and asking questions?

As for the perf loss "thing"? I didn't know it either and, if I hadn't arrived in chat when I did, I still wouldn't!!

That's why I would like to see info shared in the Forums...

PLUS

I'd also really like folks to read the Manual... there's a LOT of information there and most think "I know how to SOL I don't need to read it"... <eyeroll>
I had never heard of "averaging" as any part of setting DCs. My DC setting experience has suggested:-
1. Never trust the next Wx---set your alarm clock and get out of bed.
2. Never set a DC that that includes a tight turn around a headland---you will always turn short, and spend several hours on the rocks, until you obey point (1.) above...
3. Never trust a TWA course beyond the Wx change time--again, get out of bed.
4.Get yourself a kitchen timer and set it a minute or so BEFORE anything is supposed to happen, and be there to supervise.
5. No matter how long the race is, sit constantly in front of your computer and adjust your course every few minutes--when you do, you will ALWAYS find that you are going slightly slower than you could be, and are therefore LOSING.
6. Sleep, Work, Meals, Errands, medical emergencies, etc.etc. are not conducive to fast SOLing, so don't do them......
I'll try and find my handwritten notes that I made back in 2009 when Spindrift told me how to calculate reasonable "longhand" DCs.

Gist is using the wx slider, take readings of wind speed and direction over DC-able period.. then average them, from this you will derive likely BS and on time/distance you can set reasonable DCs.

But you are probably doing that already?

I just sail my own boat here on SOL... probably because I don't have time to look at what others are doing. If someone makes a massive leap in performance or results, i am interested to learn why/how it might be, but otherwise accept that if I only change course a few times a day and miss wx updates then I get the results I deserve.

But I also accept that while bright in my own way, I don't have a lifetime of sailing experience, I don't have time to spend even working out best-average DCs, I am probably not as smart as many sailing here, esp the top performers, so I don't expect to sail as well as any one particular other person.

As an individual I am competitive, have always been, so it is quite galling to perform so badly, but set in context of my health, my SOL Admin current workload and the complete lack of spare "brain", I just have to accept my results are mediocre at best.

One day, when the new organisation is in place, and I have little in teh way of workload, I may have to accept that my results are because I am not that good!! hehehe Until then, I am wishfully thinking that they will and can improve :-)

BUT

you didn't say anything about being our scribe for tips/hints? picking up ideas where you see them in chat etc? What say you?

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-10-10 19:50:07 ---
Rod, my point on this posting is to share knowledge so that SOL would be a level playing field. I could have of course just chosen to be silent but I happen to believe in fair game.

I obviously have access to the code but to learn about the 93% rule you don't need to have access to it. You just have to turn your boat when having less than 93% performance to notice that the performance won't drop any further. I believe many people knew at least that there is a limit of more loss near 90% so I found it fair to share the information here to everyone.

I fully accept your explanation, and had no intention of accusing anyone of 'intentional unfairness'.
It is a fact that I had never heard of 93%, and do not think that any normal experimentation would have derived that situation. I did experiment with 'stepping' around a turn in small increments, but found that the perf loss was, as expected, cumulative. I once tried running down the English Channel while staying in the center where the wind speed was greatest, and the perf loss caused me to lose ground steadily.
In radio sailing, we all know that "tacking is slow", (our small boats do not have much momentum), but gybing is quick and results in only small loss of speed.
It would have required a rather sophisticated research program to test tacks and gybes in two 'steps' of varying angles to derive the 93% rule. This would, I think, be something more than the average SOLer would think to set up himself---unless he suspected that such a phenomenon existed.
I think you will agree that there is nothing obvious in sail boat performance that would even suggest that a 'two-step' tack or gybe should be faster overall than any 'single step' turn.
I have no access to the code and it would be useless for me if I have :)
The limit of performance loss is easily to see, when you ping-pong narrow channels by DCs. You will stay near 93% all the time and you will be 7%+bbq-time behind the leaders at the finish.
I want a performance loss limit for my IRL-boat and for my personal human performance loss too :)
Ciao
Bernd (K3)

It's doable to find these rules just by trying, however it's a huge help to have a little head start like this.

I always thought performance loss depends on the boat-type, and possibly on the wind speed. But the boat-type doesn't matter, and it's not windspeed, but boatspeed that determines performance loss. It would've taken a long time to figure that out.

I think I would've found the 93% rule if I was trying to figure out how performance worked. I've noted before that, when I was tacking and gybing once or twice a minute, performance was always 92%/93% or a little lower. It never got as far down as I expected.

I want to put performance loss and recovery into spinnacer, and maybe there's gonna be more I will be putting into this program. As I'm doing that, I'm trying to find the exact formulas SOL uses. I have no problem sharing these formulas, so following RC ("it would be great to have tips/hints all listed"), should I prepare to make a list of these formulas? With possible ways to use/misuse them? Should I aim to describe them so that everyone understands, or so that they're exact, correct and unambiguous?

Be aware, admins, I've heard you don't want the entire working of SOL open for public? Then at what point should I stop publishing the formulas behind SOL? (RC/hmm, this might overlap with the mail I will send you)

Anyway, thanks for sharing this hmm!

EDIT, after reading k3's post, I wondered, what exactly happens with performance if beached (how much does it drop)? It's easy to find out, but easier if someone just tells it.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2013-10-10 22:48:59 ---

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client