Facebook

Login

Lost password?

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » VRTool and Sailonline

VRTool - a navigation software for Windows - is now compatible with Sailonline, using Brainaid's NMEA proxy over TCP/IP connection.

Check:

http://www.tecepe.com.br/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3041

Home page

http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/vrtool

--- Last Edited by omarfreis at 2014-10-08 19:38:07 ---
Thank you very much for doing this.

As I'm running linux, I ran VRTool trough wine. I couldn't load GRIB files, VRTool freezes without error. It's not that I expect VRTool to run on linux, but it makes me ask you some questions rather than trying it out myself:

- How is the weather interpolation? I read you've worked on that, but I'm not sure about interpolation over time. I only see one "navigation through time" option, and it's in jumps of 12 hours. For use of VRTool with sailonline, it's essential that it allows for some realism.
- Are there any advanced manuals or tutorials. All I could find until now were some basic things.
I have seen people run vrtool on iMacs, using Parallels or VM. I don't know about Linux and Wine.

VRTool can import gribs directly from noaa or use gribs from other programs, like ugrib and zygrib.

Wind forecast interpolation is available for both space and time, modes previous, nearest, linear and quadratic, always looking forward. Very configurable (sometimes too much so!)

More on this:
http://www.tecepe.com.br/wiki/index.php?title=Winds_Tab

As for manuals, there is the program's Wiki. And Forum. Go to:

http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/vrtool

--- Last Edited by omarreis at 2014-11-26 11:16:22 ---

--- Last Edited by omarreis at 2014-11-26 11:26:32 ---
Perhaps someone can clarify this: we run on the Wx obtained from NOAA---what then does it matter what VRTool gets? We are stuck with the SOL weather. Does the VRTool get a different prediction than SOL?
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Omar, thank you for your answer.

Rod,
As I understand, VRTool can open gribs, no matter their origin. Additionally, it has a built in option to download gribs from NOAA. This is very similar to other routers.

The gribs contain information for the wind at intervals of (usually about) 3 hours. Since VRTool didn't seem to have and option to navigate through time with steps smaller than 3 hours, I wondered if VRTool was actually interpolating over time. It seems it can even be configured.

I think using bilinear for spacial interpolation and quadratic for interpolation over time will be the closest match to sol.

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Return from Lindisfarne 2019
In the year 793, a band of Vikings crossed the North Sea to raid Britain. SOL recaptured this voyage in 2012 by sailing the 465nm from Goteborg to Lindisfarne in longships. Having tarried awhile, the raiders returned to Sweden to tell their friends about the good land, the (slightly) shorter winters and the comely Saxon maidens. Thus. it is fitting the SOL fleet this year also returns. It should be an easier passage home!
Race #1274
INFOby brainaid.de
Longship Drake PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: SYC
ALT. CLIENT: Classic
Race starts: Sep 23rd 14:00 Registration will open soon
GO TO RACE

Silverrudder 2019
Sailonline welcomes you to the fourth "buddy-up" with "Silverrudder - Challenge of the Sea" in the 2019 edition race around the Danish Island of Funen.
With shallow waters and a strong current this close inshore race is truly a challenge. One of three regattas around Funen each year, this race is the only one (and the biggest worldwide) for single handed racing. Will our Seascape 18 be a match for the real fleet's 16 Seascape 18's?
Time will tell!

It is imperative that you read AND understand these special Starting Conditions for Silverrudder 2019
Starting Conditions!!

Race #1283
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
ALT. CLIENT Classic

Race starts: Sep 20th 08:00 Registration Open!
GO TO RACE

Carib Rum Run 2019
Welcome to the Carribean and Sailonline's 2019 Pirate PRIZE race, run close to International Talk Like a Pirate Day on 19 September. This is a 1759nm slalom through the rum islands of the Caribbean, collecting barrels from the region's distilleries and carrying them to the rum-parched beaches of Cancun, Mexico. If ye scurvy swabs are up ter it, then ye be invited to attire yerselves in a piratical disguise by becoming an SYC Member and requesting to change your boat name for this race only!
Race #1284
INFO from brainaid.de
Orange Cat Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking:
SYC
ALT. CLIENT:Classic
PRIZE: See Intro Blog
Race starts: Sep 17th 16:00 Registration Open!
GO TO RACE

Wellington to Lima 2019
Have you ever been to Lima in Peru?
Now you've got the chance in this brand-new ocean race with departure from Wellington in New Zealand.
5718 nautical miles awaits us, crossing the mid-Pacific Ocean in a VO70, to the capital of Peru. And when in Lima, don't forget to celebrate your finish with Ceviche, a plate of fresh seafood, accompanied by a bottle of Arequipena Beer.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1281
INFOfrom brainaid.de
VO70v4 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: OCCH-OCQ3-SUPSOL-SYC
ALT. CLIENT:Classic
Race starts: Sep 09th 18:00 Registration Open!
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member ij
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member knockando60
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Mouthansar
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member SKOVSER
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Kipper1258
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member DIKKEHENK
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member HappyHour

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client