Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Shackleton Challenge

Page: 1 2 Next

We've talked about this one for a while, and it looks like our square rigger polar is ready to go.

I suggest breaking the voyage of Endurance, the drift, the loss of the ship and the heroic final whaleboat journey into 4 legs. The first is a true ocean race needing a couple of weeks (depending largely on conditions in the Wedell Sea), while the final 3 legs should fit nicely into some our vacant mid-week slots. Doing it all in one go would be 30 days or so.

An adventure in 4 acts:

Leg 1 - The expedition. Endurance leaves Grytviken bound for Antarctica. Shackleton intends to land at Vahsel bay and lead a party of six overland to the Ross Sea. This leg has a single waypoint in the South Sandwich Is.

Leg 2 - Trapped. I hope CG has room because we're spending this leg on Flo(e) ;-). The ice permanently closes in around Endurance just short of the goal and the expedition spends the next 9 months adrift. No ice in SOL so we should handle this leg in less than a week.

Leg 3 - Loss of Endurance. The ship is crushed by the ice and eventually sinks. The crew salvage as much they can carry and spend the next 5 months camping on the ice and making slow progress NW. In three lifeboats they eventually reach Elephant Island.

Leg 4 - James Caird. In what is widely regarded as one of the great feats of navigation and sailing, Shackleton and 5 crew sail a whaleboat 800nm to South Georgia, which they then cross on foot, reaching the whaling port of Stromness and securing rescue for the expedition. 3 months later, the entire remaining crew is rescued.

GE kmz attached.

--- Last Edited by 76Trombones at 2011-04-09 13:32:28 ---
Attachments
Masterful Work

76T... this is AWESOME!! An immense amount of work. Outstanding job!!!
I hope we're not going to wait for the anniversary of the REAL voyage in DEC. Can't wait to see the polar. Is there anyway to dream up a polar for the Caird?

SP
Thanks for bringing this saga to mind. In a less technological era the abilities & resourcefulness of these men to cope under such dire circumstances is a testament to a time when true self reliance was prized.
A very nicely done GE tour of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition is available here "South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition"

Tons of info, all nicely mapped out. My little summary glosses over quite a bit (!). For an encore (lol) we could include the 3 unsuccessful rescue attempts and the final one for some nice windward-leeward work... Our polar is a bit of an anachronism, but suits.

If we enjoy ourselves we'll have to follow up with the Ross Sea half of the expedition.

Then onward to the Arctic in search of Franklin...

*Then* the 2nd Voyage of HMS Beagle. And you thought going the "right" way around in modern 60s took ages... They stopped often though. We could do it in say 20 legs. Most 8-12 days, 380 or so total haha. Spread over 5 years like IRL that wouldn't be so bad ;-)
A very nice challenge of considerable historical interest----but I don't know if it is the one we should do first for square-riggers. I would like to see a "Tea Clipper" race first, because they probably did some of the most remarkable sailing speeds known. It would be very challenging for SOLers to beat some of the Tea Clipper "24 hr runs", as well as some of the port-to-port times, specifically including the challenge of entering and leaving port.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
With regards to square riggers, is it technically possible in SOL to include choice of sails in the program, because this was such a very big part in the seamanship needed to handle these "greyhounds of the seas"????
As a navigation simulation, not really. The composite polars we use are meant to represent the best choice of sail for each condition. Sail changes are included and automatic (and visible in some of our more detailed polars). One of the mmorpgs had a square rigger that needed "crew" for sail changes etc.

We did a race "wrong way" around Cape Horn last year using the clipper polar, though we lucked into some favorable wind. We've discussed the other potential clipper routes as well, and they'd make fantastic races. The only problem is that they're all *long* (upward of 100 days in some cases) and non-stop. People are still keen, but a little tough to schedule.

One of the Clipper routes that has always seemed like a good race to me is the Opium rum from Calcutta to Canton. It's one of the short ones, uphill in interesting weather. Still works out to 40 or 50 days though.

I'd really like to see a 24h run too. Ideally clocked, with time to position oneself first. SOL doesn't currently have a way to handle this though. We could do it unofficially.

I remember in the VORG that we had a choice of headsails and spinackers, and could destroy them by carrying them in too high wind speeds, requiring a visit to a port to get them repaired.
76T - fabulous! Please may I ask a favour though? I can't match up the waypoint names in the kmz file with what you mention as the different legs here in this thread.

Please would you clarify all the waypoints and the start/finish points for each leg? or.. just list them here and I can then add them as necessary in the SOL races.

Thanks!

Also.. what time of year do you consider best for this?

Sorry RC! The first race as described is from Grytviken to the Wedell Sea mark, with a turn at Saunders Island. The remaining legs are start/finish only: Wedell->Endurance (where she finally sunk), Endurance->Elephant Island, Elephant Island->Stromness. IRL they landed on the West coast and walked across, but other than the wonky finish line I think it makes sense to leave the choice of which way 'round South Georgia all the way to Stromness.

Any time of year should be fine, as this is more of an "inspired by" than otherwise. I thought we could use it as filler as needed, with breaks in-between. The first leg needs a longer slot, but after that they are short enough to fill some 4-5 day openings. Seems like a nice race to have "on hand".

The photos attached are all public domain and I included larger ones that *should* be properly formatted for the blog. The drawing is my 5min attempt inspired by Rockwell Kent. I like the multiple square riggers... you have to imagine zooming out for the remaining 496 SOL boats :-). Luckily the whales are safe from us.

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client