Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Sailonline Race Committee

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Hi fellow SOLers....Not being a RL yachty Im not sure of what races are on the calender here in South Africa, but I will find out. One that I recently saw on telly was a neat little drag race down and upwind that started from Simonstown to a buouy at Cape Point and back as an example. Ill get back to the "Committee" on this because there are quite a few offshore races available that might be interesting to do.
George
Excellent! That is what we need.
Looks like everyone is on the same page!

Do we want to start then by fleshing out Incognito's list of "real" races for the next 4 months? - there must be some South American one for instance. The big ones are the races that the calendar needs to be woven around.

How about Dubai-Muscat on Nov 26? Interesting course, and we have some "locals".

Sydney-Hobart is a must. It's probably in the "archive" but it would be a good exercise to flesh it out again.

Short races and "fun" races seem ideal to just maintain a pool that can be drawn from as needed.

Long-duration races need to budgeted carefully as there are only so many slots.
I really like the Viking race as proposed by 76Trombones.

I also have some ideas for races, but I am currently more interested in finding a solid way to organize this Racing Committee...

I think setting up a special part in this forum for the Race Committee is a good start. It will be a good way to receive ideas and discuss them.

It's up to Jakob to tell us how far our autonomy will reach in terms of putting races into the system. And the possibilities of an actual calender on the website with all races 2 to 3 months ahead.
(I am a professional web designer/developer, if there is something I can do to help.....)

In the mean time I imagine the call for a Race Committee is actually providing more work for Jakob (emails and forumposts to read) so I will stop here...

BTW: I am also known as RemyBlom in the game... changed my nick but it appears not to be a global change :S
my other boat is a kiteboard =)
Hi,

I will here try to give you all wonderful SOLers my view of what we need.

The primary objectives of a race committee is to bring structure into the racing and to ease the load aft the current administrators. By structure I mean that SOL wants to offer a balanced mix of races, series etc that welcomes participants from all over by a mix of race formats, race lengths, boat types, starting times etc etc. Some SOL:ers love short races and some love long races. Some loves SLI-hopping and some don´t. Some have professions that does not enable weekday sailing and vice versa. Some even live on the other side of the globe and have spouses with opinions :-).

SOL wants to offer races at all times, there shall always be something happening at SOL. Until now, we have basically just created new races as the current one finishes. Some races have been similar to IRL-races and some have been the result of creativity. Some has been well designed and some…

Through the years we have learned that SOL bring out so much good energy in so many users. The community is nothing less than fantastic. We now dream of a system where some of this energy in a structured way is used to make SOL even better. We want to establish a race committee, or at least some sort of structured system/organization for race scheduling that would ease of the load of the SOL administrators. Currently SOL get quite a lot of e-mails from people with very good and creative ideas for races and improvements that (to be honest) often en up in in an email in-box. One has to realize that SOL is run on very small resources and is administrated mostly at night between evening news and tooth brushing of kids. SOL simply needs more user engagement in the daily work and we hope that there is enthusiasm for these questions out there.

A race committee could maybe:
- Have responsibility of keeping a race schedule available to make race implementation easier and to make users able to plan hers/his racing.
- Create suitable series that improves the racing. (The functionality is implemented)
- Scout for interesting races.
- Prepare races for server implementations (Name, waypoints, texts, boattypes, maps, times etc)
- Do most of the communication with the community regarding races/planning/rankings etc
- Help keeping the manual up-to-date
- Find ways to engage the community (maybe by voting etc) in future development and race planning.
- Maybe develop a system of divisions. (maybe this is the way to separate routers/non-routers?)
- etc

We do not know the best committee size, working methods nor setup but rather hope that this would be the first challenge for the committee to take on. Kalle and Jakob can be members of the committee but will not take on the chair so to speak. I don't even know if what I am asking for is possible but I think it is worth trying. Only very limited amounts of race-committee-tool-development can be done by the SOL admins in an initial phase so we need to come up with simple solutions.

Anyone up for taking the helm the first leg?

/Jakob
...one of the guys behind the game...
Jakob,

Thanks for giving a better job description of the RC's duties. The RC definately needs a Chairman, as well as members from countries in different timezones so as to accomodate a "global" point of view. I do hereby nominate 76T to have first dibs at the Chairman position, since he started this thread! I volunteer for whatever duties need to be done. I'm not up to speed on the technical (computer) side of the job, but I'm willing to learn. On the sailing side I can provide you guys with decent insight, since I've been sailing IRL pretty much my entire life, and that also includes doing my fair share of RC work at the local yacht club.

Looking forward to working hard to enhance SOL's position as the best damn sailing simulation online, and making it even more enjoyable for the online sailing community!

Regards,

Toño
Let me summarize.

The following people have expressed an interest to join the race committee:
- 76Trombones (Sweden?)
- Exmeromotu (Puerto Rico)
- Windjunks! (Netherlands)
- Verboten (USA)
- Paul Rosser (NZ - NZL_PaulR?)
- Jawz (South Africa)
- Incognito (Belgium)

The following races have been mentionned:
- Transat Jacques Vabre: >3000 NM, 8 November
- Dubai-Muscat: ~360 NM, 26 November
- Sydney-Hobart: ~600 NM, 26 December
- Hobart-Sydney: ~600 NM, early January
- Lindisfarne Raid (Viking raid): anytime
- Simonstown drag race: anytime

I believe that the size of the race committee does not require a very formal organization at this stage.

However, I believe we will quickly need a few tools to coordinate the work.
- A calendar that could be edited by all members of the committee to prepare the schedule of races.
- A mailbox that can be read by all members of the committee. My idea is that race suggestions should be send or forwarded to this mailbox.
- A forum with access reserved to the members of the committee. In my idea, this forum should not be used to discuss big policy issues (the public SOL forum is more appropriate for that), but only to organize the nitty-gritty work.

What do you think?

Francois
I will try setting up a Google Calendar. Never worked with it before but it looks promising.
Features are: I can give people the right to add/edit/etc events. All events are public. You can easily embed this calendar in any website. Or you can just import the calendar into your Office suite or iCal for Mac...

Will share the url when I set it up...

greetinx,
my other boat is a kiteboard =)
Yesterday evening, I searched the net further to find 'real' races. Below, some resources that I came accross:
- http://www.imoca.org/races.asp
- http://www.rorc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=23
- http://www.classemini.com/?mode=calendrier&langue=en

If you find other similar resources, please tell us!

Francois
Yesterday evening, I searched the net further to find 'real' races. Below, some resources that I came accross:
- http://www.imoca.org/races.asp
- http://www.rorc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=23
- http://www.classemini.com/?mode=calendrier&langue=en

If you find other similar resources, please tell us!

Francois

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client