Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Proposal for Performance Handicapping

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Following from this discussion I've prepared an example workup of individual-boat performance handicapping using most of the races run so far in 2011.

Your SOL Performance Handicap (SPH) is a relative measure to compare within the fleet. It reflects only race results. Unlike most IRL sail handicapping systems, it rates the crew rather than the boat. This approach is similar to what is used in "sports" :-P like golf and the ultimate goal is to reduce your handicap to 1.000 or "scratch". The calculations are very simple and don't need human intervention (like I've been doing for the Tallships). SPH could be automatically added to the leaderboard and boatlist in-client.

So what's the point?

• Perfomance handicapping rewards improvement. Every race that you sail "above level" counts towards your SPH.

• SPH allows you do identify your immediate competition. With the new custom boatlists, you can choose to highlight (for example the 20 or so) boats nearest to your performance.

• Corrected time results reflect effort. If you really give it your all one race you'll see it in the results. Remember that other boats are rewarded in the same way - if you make the top few dozen there's a reason!

• New sailors have immediate feedback on how they are doing. New boats also have a bit of a honeymoon period where they'll correct out fast until their handicap settles down. This is good motivation.

• Improving your SPH gets progressively difficult. The closer to scratch you get, the harder it becomes. Finishing first overall (or even top 20) may not be enough to improve your SPH.

• Unlike the SYC rank, SPH does not rely on continuous participation. If you take a break from SOL you pick up where you left off.

I've made a few assumptions in order to get reasonable results with a limited data set, and the weighting system should be more sophisticated than what I have here. Results presented for discussion (and feel free to use them to highlight your competition).

A few things to look for: if you have a recent race where you feel like you put in an above average showing - check the corrected time ranking to see if the system caught it. SPH works basically the same way as a Time-On-Time rating. Divide you elapsed time by your SPH to see how you did vs the race leader in upcoming races.

The included spreadsheet contains SPH numbers for any boat that has at least 1 top 100 race this year. The more races you've sailed the more accurate it should be. The second sheet shows top 50 boats on corrected time for the races included. Yes there are some new names in there! That's another point. :-)
Attachments
Interesting workup, still trying to absorb the details as I have not been concerned with rankings on more than a race by race basis.

One question I have relates to whether you exclude any results or bottoms which may indicate lost interest or lost internet connection, went out of town issues which may not reflect actual performance ability?

The Texel race was one of my better efforts that I can recall finishing 12th; 2 min 10 sec behind the winner. If I am reading the chart correctly I am placed mid 30's corrected. Was I expected to do better than I did or were others moved forward due to them sailing above their norm ?

thanks for letting me down easy
None so blind
I've only included results where a corrected time suggests better than current SPH. There is no way to increase (worsen) your handicap, so cruises or DNFs don't factor in.

The handicapped results are quite compressed, and anything in the top half is a good result. Winston's 2nd in the Ron Miel was only good for 47th out of 100 for instance - a middle of the pack result implies that he was sailing to his rating, but not above it.

In your case, your 9th in the Ron Miel and 15th in Scan 1 actually count more towards SPH than Texel. There are few ways of looking at the results... in the Texel race, you were only beaten on corrected time by two boats (p1 and 2) with SPH lower than your own. This suggests that your position is much more other boats doing well vs their own numbers. With only 30 races and incomplete leaderboards, boats that make it into the top 100 for the first few time are promoted.

Texel is a bit of a wildcard as it was very short and relatively point-to-point. It was very difficult to _place_ well in, but many boats were able to finish closer to the leader as a % of elapsed time.

There's no differential weighting in the example, and all fleets are assumed to be of equal strength. Something to consider once more races are included.

--- Last Edited by 76Trombones at 2011-07-12 22:56:28 ---
Very nice effort 76T and I really hope something 'official' comes of it - I think something like this would add enormously to SOL...
A little server support and this can very easily be added to the boat list(s) :-)

That said I find it interesting you have numbers > 1... Any performance handicapping system i have seen uses values < 1, which are multiplied by elapsed time to get corrected...

Interesting also in that races I (thought I) really put a lot of time into and got decent results I didn't figure very well in - clearly others were working even harder!
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Thanks for your efforts 76T, I will have a good look at this.
I realy like the idea of ranked and handicapped races and leaderboards.
I am a ex-admin of SOL who joins in from time to time.
Yes it's backwards based on normal Time-On-Time conventions. Huh - something to do with Tallships (how come no one has pointed this out? :-D) and my brain being wired for Time-On-Distance... Lucky multiply/divide are easy swaps!

For anyone who might be worried, the idea is that these results are totally supplemental to and in no way replace the normal leaderboard/SYC ranking.

As mentioned in the referenced thread, over time cumulative corrected-time results converge. The interesting bits are evaluating race-by-race individual performance, identifying immediate competition, and tracking and encouraging long-term development and participation.
As mentioned in the referenced thread, over time cumulative corrected-time results converge. The interesting bits are evaluating race-by-race individual performance, identifying immediate competition, and tracking and encouraging long-term development and participation.
================================
And SYC Memberships to ideally ?? ;-)

--- Last Edited by Aaron Gage at 2011-07-13 15:59:22 ---
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
76T... brilliant as always!
Having re-read your post several times and reviewed the spreadsheet, forgive the dullard question(s).

1) If there is no penalty for missing races, could someone race in a single race per year, WIN it (double entendre intended)and maintain scratch rating? (extreme example)

2) How come I have 2 ratings on the spreadsheet... If asked, I'll take #100, thank-you-very-much!

This is a fabulous idea and another example of how the SOL community is unlike any of the other sailing sites I have encountered.
Positively Outstanding!

SP
1) If there is no penalty for missing races, could someone race in a single race per year, WIN it (double entendre intended)and maintain scratch rating? (extreme example)
There needs to be some discussion about how exactly to calculate changes (SPH working group?) but as presented, your rating is always maintained. No way to adjust it slower. Winning a race isn't enough to progress as you need to win it with enough margin. The ratings should probably adjust relative to "fleet strength" but that would be a very minor change up or down even over many months.

2) How come I have 2 ratings on the spreadsheet... If asked, I'll take #100, thank-you-very-much!

Haha it looks like when I imported the results some of your data came in with a space in front of the username. No avoiding the faster one though. I get the same result with the two sets merged.

This is a fabulous idea and another example of how the SOL community is unlike any of the other sailing sites I have encountered.

Thanks! I *think* it has potential... quite a bit of added value, and it tackles some outstanding issues as well in a roundabout way.

As an extreme example of how competitive SOL has become, I figure (with a few missing updates) that UC and rafa were within 10min of a "perfect" time in the Atlantic crossing. If that's not a scratch performance nothing is! (to 4 decimal places...)
Anyone know a quick way to get detailed results? I could do this by copying and pasting from the results section, but would be faster if a better data format is available.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client