Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Races » SWR Leg 6

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Day 6: Well, 6 and a half but who is counting?

The leaders of the fleet are about to cross the doldrums. They are pretty weak at the moment, and only appear here as a patch of light blue amongst the green. At the moment, the forecast suggests that the wind may drop to 7 kts or so, which means that the boat speed does not drop all that much.

It does mean that many boats will head more north than the rhumbline, which is now NW. This is to maintain boat speed through the lighter pressure and to escape potentially unstable winds. Once into the steadier trades of the northern hemisphere we will bear away towards Miami.

The doldrums are a zone of light winds in most oceans, more correctly named the intertropical convergence zone, or ITCZ for short. The zone moves north and south in a seasonal cycle. The doldrums exist because of a global atmostpheric pressure cycle, where the air rises near the equator and sinks in the cold poles. This cycle drives much of the winds on the planet. The trades are due to the coriolis effect, where the rotation of the earth under the atmosphere results in the wind direction of the trades.

The ITCZ is an area of great importance to ocean sailors. The myth that the water goes down the plughole in a different direction in my new country compared to my old one should not be.
Attachments
Day 7 and a bit.

The northern most boats have now cleared the doldrums. They can now bear away at good speed towards the next mark.

Quite a number of boats gybed to stay closer to the rhumbline. They have still to clear the doldrums and will be hoping for a good crossing. The real boats have also stayed closer to land, but they have more to think about than the virtual world, as currents play a big part in routing here.

The trades will provide us with fast reaching sailing for a week as we charge towards the USA. This does not provide dramatic weather changes that occurs elsewhere, so the overtaking opportunities are more difficult. However, over a week even small speed differences add up. At least we do not need to worry about our sails being damaged.

So who is ahead, the rhumbline boats or the northern pack? Time will tell but my money is on the northerners.
Attachments
Day 8. The boats that are probably in the lead are into the trades. These steady easterly winds will power the boats up and send them towards Miami. This pack are rapidly overtaking the rhumbline boats on DTF and therefore the leaderboard.

There is now over 500nm separation between those who continued on starboard and those that gybed SW. It is looking increasingly likely that the northern boats have taken the better option. They crossed the doldrums when they were weak and did not slow down much. In contrast, those in the south still face lighter winds for at least another day.

As the trades are very steady, there are few options to overtake. Very small course changes are all that is required to maintain high speed in the best direction. We will probably have to wait until near the next mark in about 6 days time before the battle for the win will be decided.

In the meantime, it is follow the leader. If you are further back, then unfortuately you will be watching the leader extend his lead and disappear over the horizon.
Attachments
Day 9: I thought a comparison between the current race leader and a former race leader would be useful. The DTF calculation add miles to the northern boats as it assumes more miles are required to reach the finish. This can confuse the race situation.

We can see from this plot that the leader nacrr has about 1730nm to the next mark. This is over 350nm less than the leading boats in the south. It is unlikely that the southern boats can overhaul such a difference.
Attachments
Day 10: Most of the leading pack have gybed towards the Caribbean and the West Indies. We can see Martinique on the left of the attached plot.

So why gybe, and why gybe now? As we sail north of the tropics, the trades become unstable. If we continue sailing higher than the direct course to the next mark, then we risk sailing into lighter winds and adverse sailing angles, which would be slower.

Why not gybe earlier? One guide is that the wind direction has been north of 100 degrees most of the time, which has allowed us to sail between 285 and 310. Now the wind has veered to more than 100, so we can only sail 315 unless we sacrifice speed. So the angle of the wind suits gybing now.

The wind strength will also be affected more as we sail north. There is lighter wind to the NE and also to the W. Therefore, there is a channel of stronger wind in the middle. We need to get west to keep in this wind.

All this may sound complicated, but such calculations are helped by the use of a router. Or by eye, judgment and SOTP. Either way, most of us have gybed for the first time in many days and woken up the off shift. Move those sails lads.
Attachments
Day 11: The weather situation is becoming more complex as we leave the trades. On the attached plot we see a large high pressure to our NE which is affecting the winds in the area we want to sail. There is also a ridge of lighter winds ahead of the fleet.

These zones result in many options for how to sail to the next mark. The choices between pressure, wind direction and preferred course become more difficult. With that, overtaking opportunities open up. This can be particularly difficult after a relatively relaxing time through the trades. Complacency is dangerous.

We can see the leading bunch packed into a zone of stronger winds (they are still spread out over a few 100nm, so not exactly a close bunch). We are all making our way downwind towards the finish. What will the wx do? Where is the best route? Being ahead is certainly an advantage here. The leaders will gain.
Attachments
Day 12: The fleet was passing to the east of the West Indies. There was a high to the NE with lighter winds. Difficult choices lie ahead for the navigators of these intrepid ocean explorers for much of the remainder of the race.

The attached plots give an example of how three slightly different strategies and timing of gybes can make a difference. In the past few days, I have been very level with Tempest, and lost ground to Rhino. Rhino had picked out better pressure and angles and gradually made some miles. These totalled maybe 5 or 6 nms over week. Very slight differences each day, but they add up.

However, in the last day or so, I have made quite big gains by choosing better times for my gybes. The "rhino" plot has a longer timeframe from hmm's excellent site (http://sol.hmm.iki.fi/sollog/races/). The other is the last day from SOL.

The last 2 gybes are where the biggest gains were. You can see I have sailed a better angle. The gybes were timed to make best use of a shifting breeze. Being on the better board resulted in over 10nm gained on rhino and over 20nm gained on Tempest in only 12 hours.

Overall the fleet has been gybing more to the west towards the islands to try and stay in good pressure. The days ahead look challening.
Attachments
Day 14: The wanderings of a high pressure to the NE of the fleet continues to torment the navigators. The race leaders have escaped the lightest winds for now and are able to head NW towards the mark.

The chasers are losing ground. They are either in the lightest winds and trying to maintain progress, or sailing into lighter pressure.

In an attempt to find good pressure I've gybed to the SW. So I'm sailing away from the mark. This is risky at the best of times, but particularly at this moment due to the movement of the high. If it drifts my way, it could open up another area for good progress and block mine. Most are heading more directly towards the mark and will make small course changes to try and keep going as best they can.

So why go SW? I have some islands in the way, which are an important barrier to consider. Which side to go? Which channels to aim for? How to make sure I don't hit anything? My weather and routing models have suggested going this way for some time.

I hedged my bets somewhat, by more gradually moving W rather than a more agressive approach earlier. We can see boats behing taking this course now, as it becomes clearer that this might be a good option.

I may have thrown away a nice top 30 position, but this way has the potential to overtake a few and make the top 20 or better.

--- Last Edited by NZL Scotsman at 2012-05-09 08:07:08 ---
Attachments
Day 15: The leaders are close to Miami and can begin to relax. Not too many challenges on the last few miles. Superb sailing by Nacrr means he takes out the win by a big margin.

My gamble to the SW has paid off, to some extent at least. Unusually, the boats that have faired the worst were in the middle. The boats furthest NE managed to find some decent pressure at times, and I've kept in good pressure with reasonable direction enough of the time to make up for the miles lost by my detour.

But those in the middle were mired in light winds for the longest. The 20kts plus boat speeds of last week were forgotten, and speeds above 5 kts were wildly celebrated, doubly so if they were in a good direction.

There are a few islands to avoid on the way, but the hardyards are nearly done.

Over 800 boats started the leg, and most have a long way still to sail. Nacrr will get the first shower, many will have to put up with a cold one or the water running out in a week or two's time.
Attachments
Leader board result:
1 nacrr
2 rumskib
3 AGage
4 Zembu
5 Amigo do Boteco1
6 ita10267
7 bigbull
8 76Trombones
9 Garagiste
10 Morgaine

Nacrr took 16 days 1 hour 39 minutes and 30 seconds for the 4800nm leg. He won the leg by over 90 minutes.

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

CA 500 2024

In 2019, the organisers of the California Race Week introduced a new longer distance event for the world’s very largest maxi trimarans in town that year intent on setting new records for the TransPac Ocean Race on its 50th anniversary. This CA 500, 500nm from San Francisco to San Diego, was repeated in 2023, but this year it will be an online only event, as it is a lot more straightforward to get a fleet of Maxi trimarans out on the virtual water, than in real life.
Race #1799
INFO by brainaid.de
Maxi Tri PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: SYC - CRW
Race starts: May 25th 17:40 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Capt Anderson's Resupply TIMED Race 2024

Welcome back to the Pacific Northwest for a race that takes us around the southern end of Vancouver Island and up the west coast as we supply six lights. The leg starts in Victoria, and we sail into the open water of the Salish Sea. After making our way up the west coast we must go up the narrow channel to restock in Port Alberni. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1809
INFO by brainaid.de
11 Metre OD PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
01 June at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: May 19th 12:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Vasco da Gama Ocean Race 2024

Join us at Sailonline for a thrilling adventure in the 2024 Vasco da Gama Ocean Race! This event is the most prestigious and longstanding international sailing competition in South Africa, offering a unique journey steeped in history. Traditionally setting sail from the picturesque bay of Maputo, Mozambique's enchanting old Portuguese colonial capital, the race has charted a new course in recent years. This edition will see competitors navigating a challenging 250-nautical-mile course from Durban to East London. Adding to the excitement, this year our SOLers will harness the speed and power of our fleet of Carkeek 40s!
Race #1807
INFO from brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: May 19th 08:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Neumayer Station to Biscoe Wharf 2024

It’s Autumn now in Antarctica, the sun is permanently below the horizon, but during the day, from c 0900 to c 1700 local time, there is some twilight – nautical twilight, not to be confused with civil twilight which is brighter. The penguins are starting to huddle together to keep warm and the sea ice is growing. Time to get back to Biscoe Wharf then, before the water becomes impassible. Including a detour past Argentina’s main two Antarctic stations, it’s only 1900nm, so, although we’ll be in a hurry, we will take the bigger, better ice-classed Paratii 2 once more, just to be sure!
Race #1766
INFOby brainaid.de
Paratii 2 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: May 13th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client