Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Races » SWR Leg 6

Page: 1 2 3 Next

If you'd like to see some race commentary please reply in this forum. I'm happy to write updates, and I'm sure a few others will chip in. However, it is only worth doing this if there are enough people reading them.

--- Last Edited by NZL Scotsman at 2012-04-24 07:09:32 ---
Hi Guys.

I am doing contract work in Harare, Zimbabwe and my internet service is slow causing me to sail using Brainaids Toolbox, Sailplanner and the Miniclient.

Yesterday I thought I would start a tracker on powerpoint to see how the fleet is moving relative to my position.

The attached file is my captures from 10:00 UTC to 22:00 UTC last night and I started again this morning. Visual quality is bad but it makes for interesting viewing when you use the mouse wheel to scroll down the slides.

Enjoy!!

George
Attachments
I'm going my own way (as usual) up the coast, to try to get a better angle and get as far downwind for the coming transition. High risk strategy but I'm happy with that - someone has to to keep in interesting!

Gybing in 2 hours, will soon change from TWA to CC thereafter
Attachments
I, for one, would enjoy that, Scotty
thanks
The first day of the SWR leg 6 out of Itajai was quite straightforward. Most headed NE in building pressure. There is little variation in the group and most are in a tight group. Sailing slightly higher meant stronger wind, but at a slower angle and a longer course. As is often the case, those in the best position are in the middle. Late starters had the extra penalty of a deepening wind hole.
Attachments
Day 2 sees the fleet turning the corner and heading further north. A few more miles east are required to clear Recife, but that is still 1000nm away. The first landmark near Rio has been cleared. Almost all the boats are at least 100nm offshore, but a few have gone close in. There is no current on SOL. IRL that is a factor on this part of the course.

As was described for day 1, the balance is between high and east, or low and west. Turn fast then you head north fast - but is that the fastest way to Recife?

--- Last Edited by NZL Scotsman at 2012-04-26 08:02:39 ---
Attachments
Day 3 sees the fleet sail into a large wind change. The twa trendline curls around to the SE as the wind veers. The forecast is set for 6 hours when a lot of the wind shift has occurred.

I've sailed low into the shift. I was already in an easterly position, and decided to maximise this leverage at the potential cost of some northing. I'll tack on the line of the ruler. Once everyone has tacked, I'll be above the fleet but further south.

Will this tactic work? We'll need to wait and see. There are still over 500nm to Recife but I'll have height and a better twd.

Into the trades we go. These should carry us a long way in fair winds. Gains and losses will become more subtle, but with almost 2 weeks still to sail there are plenty of opportunities to win or lose.
Attachments
Day 4: The fleet is heading north towards the next mark, Recife, which is the most easterly part of this leg. The fleet has converged as can be seen on the attached plot. There have been small gains by those who have chose the best combination of angle and pressure so far. These small increments have added up to a 2 hour lead over me.

The next couple of days should be straightforward reaching conditions, but wind angles and pressure are still a factor. If the wind veers (turns clockwise on the compass - E to SE) it will favour those on the east; but only if it is a small shift. Larger shifts will mean sailing lower, which is a slower angle than a beam reach.

If the wind backs (E to NE), again it favours those on the right as they have the height advantage already.
Attachments
Day 5: The fleet is passing the Recife mark, which marks the most easterly point of the course. The wind veered more than previously forecast in the last 24 hours, which meant the boats in the middle gained the most. Those on the right had to sail low and slower or further from the mark. Those on the left either sailed into lighter winds or had to sail higher and therefore slower.

The land and the course head WNW towards Miami after we clear the bulge of Brazil. However, that direction is downwind and would require gybing to stay near the rhumbline. Forecasts indicate that the wind will be E or maybe even NE further north after the doldrums. So it will be worthwhile keeping going on starboard even if it means sailing away from the mark.

Such a course will play havoc with the leaderboard, as those further south will be closer in distance to the next mark, even though they are really behind on the race track. However, those furthest north can take comfort knowing they are ahead even though the leaderboard does not say it. Crossing the line first is what counts most.
Attachments
Great comments. Please keep the postings!
nacrr

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
May 8 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
May 7 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client