Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Races » TIMED RACES - Guidelines

Page: 1 2 3 Next

A timed race differs from a fleet race in that there is no pre-race practice. As soon as the race opens for registration your boat is "live", the first course command you execute denotes the beginning of your first attempt at that course.

You also cannot log in as the sol boat to preview the course - the sol boat isn't registered until the race opens for everyone.

Once registered in the race, if you don't want to commit yourself to race against the clock straightaway. then use the wx slider at the bottom of the game screen to see what sort of conditions are likely to be coming up over the next few hours... that way you don't start immediately and then realise if you had waited a little while, your first timed run might have been better. Highly competitive SOLers who are members of SOL's Yacht Club ("SYC") often won't start for days, waiting for the precise best conditions so that their SYC ranking is improved and not worsened by the race!!

The majority of SOLers, however, will start within a few hours and just enjoy the cameraderie and friendly match-racing that can happen.

To help this spirit of matchracing, ask out in the race's chatroom if anyone is planning a start anytime soon - informal groups of people starting together can have great fun, even if the time taken is not going to win any medals. Informal matchracing (and practice races in non TIMED courses) is a great way to learn how to SOL.

Finally, never hesitate to ask questions in chat, you will find everyone is very happy to help.

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-08-14 09:08:39 ---
CLOSING OF TIMED RACE

It is imperative that the closing of Timed Race corresponds to last possible start.
So for example if the race closes at 12 00 hrs your latest start time is until that hour.

This question is well discussed in past and we agreed that closing the race while hundreds of boats are still running(Ocean Timed Race)is not practicable.
This question must be cleared once for all and in NOR should read "This race will close for last start on ........"

Capt.D.P.

--- Last Edited by Capt.D.P. at 2013-01-05 11:35:13 ---
How long should we leave the race open after the latest possible start then?

People leave their boats sailing without finishing for various reasons so it's not possible to wait for all boats to finish.

By announcing the close time by with you have to complete your run before the race, everyone has the same chances to win.

If you choose to start near the race close time it's up to you take the risk how near the end you will start. In my mind it adds another interesting factor to the game. It can be frustrating if it doesn't work but surely rewarding if it does.

The last possible start in a Timed race is right up until the last moment prior to the race close. No one is going to start at that time, though, with most people wanting to complete their last runs (probably) well before then.

When a Timed Race closes, all aspects of the race close at the same time (unlike fleet races which usually have registration closing some time before the race closes).

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-01-05 15:22:02 ---
I could just say that I am sorry that you do not understand my point.
I am sorry for all those good solers that miss to arrive on time,some even for few seconds like for example ATLET in last timed race.

Now let's take example of an ocean time race.
1000 boats started on very good wind and very probable for all of them to improve their times.Till few hrs before arrival it shows that for most of them it will be record run.Than the wind situation changes drastically and few miles before arrival the race closes.Hundreds of boat skippers are furious.
That is possible scenario and when it happens, than you will understand my point of view.

As a reply to Marku Haninen:The race could be opened for double of the best time in short races and progressively less for longer races.

Capt.D.P. skipper Africa

--- Last Edited by Capt.D.P. at 2013-01-13 00:05:57 ---
I agree with Cap. Would be easy to close registration and have last finish a set time after that. I would have gone for a final run in the last timed race as the wx looked good, but would not have been able to finish in time based on the current rules.
I am happy with whatever the majority decides EXCEPT that until any of this process is automated, y'all have to remember that I (usually me, for the past couple of years but not always!) have to be awake and online to open/close races and registration.

In the past we used to close registration and let folks race on in Timed races but there was one time when I was unwell/away from my home and computer and I couldn't close the registration exactly on time.

This caused tremendous disquiet africa you will remember the incident I am sure, I was accused of playing favourites and roundly attacked. It reduced me to tears at the time and, frankly, I am not prepared to undergo such treatment from anyone on SOL again.

By all means generate a poll here on SOL to confirm that what you are proposing is the right way to go, then we can see if your suggestion is widely held :-)

If it is, then in future someone(s) must take responsibility for determining what will be the times of registration close and race close BEFORE the race starts (to avoid a moveable feast that disadvantages those not online when times change on-the-run) and subject to agreeing the times in question SOL Admins can decide among themselves who will take responsiblity for closing registration and the race at the agreed times.

That's reasonable isn't it?
RC I always said I admire your work in SOL and also always told you if you need a help for technical question that I am always on disposition.

For you or whoever closes the race is just the same.Instead that you write "the race closes at ......." you write "the race closes for last run at .......".
Than, after reasonable time(depending on the length of the race), close the race altogether.That final closing will not affect top 100-200 racers and therefor it is not so important.

I do not fight for me but for many others as I have proven in last timed race,where I was 2nd and would I have not gone for last two hours on tennis would have probably won that race,as was leading to Winston.

Important is however that no changes are done after NOR is delivered.

regards

Damir
skipper Africa

p.s.
traditional name of my boat in virtual races is the name of my real boat VANNA(my granddaughter),therefor I would like to change Africa to Vanna if possible.
RC, you do a fantastic job of organising us, who act like a bunch of kids or pirates! We are just debating whether a rule needs a slight change. You are doing what we all agreed before.
Cheers, Kevin
In the basis current system is very clear and fair.
Cutt - off time is specified pre race on the second and equal for everybody.
The skipper is aware of this closing time and thus has to start latest at the following time
race finishing time - estimated track time.

Every second he is starting later he is gambling on better winds although he knows that race wil be closed.

All other methods for closing are not exactly fair and independent as they can not be determined pre race when NOR is presented.

Africa basically you're suggestion is exactly the same as it is now only difference is in the present situation the skipper is responsible for departing on time, with you're suggestion the server is responsible. I like to be responsible for my own actions so i choose option one.

--- Last Edited by Tempest at 2013-01-13 12:28:42 ---

--- Last Edited by Tempest at 2013-01-13 12:33:49 ---

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client