Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » SPINNACER

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi all :)

You might have read my post about posting links to executables, well my link is approved, so here's the post I was talking about:

It's been a couple of times now that I needed to know my SOG, given a TWS and TWA that were different from my current TWS and TWA (for setting DCs mainly). The polar diagram in the client was not exact enough IMO.
So I started writing a little program that could read the polar, and interpolate for me. I called it "Sol Polar Explorer". Then I added some new things (vmc stuff, and a sort of calculator). Then I found that "Sol Polar Explorer" already existed, made by Aaron.. I decided to rename my program, "Sol Polar Explorer" is Aaron's. Besides, my program was getting more than just an explorer.

I introduce to you "SPINNACER":

SOL Polar Inspector N.N. And Calculator to Enhance Racing

:)

Once I added the last big chunk of functionality I will reveal what N.N. abbreviates, until then it's just a Polar Inspector and Calculator.

The source code of Aaron's Polar Explorer is publicly available, including the "official" interpolation that SOL uses. I implemented that, so the data should match pretty well. Thanks Aaron.

---
So what does it do?
1. It can read the files that brainaid provides as "Detailed data as CSV".
2. Show the basic polar (a bit more precise than in the client), **with zooming functionality**
3. Show the polar at a given TWS, providing TWA and SOG information at mouse location. Also: draws VMC line, with best VMC angle and speed towards mouse location. **with zooming functionality**
4. *Secret* - I'm really curious if anyone can find out what it is :)
5. Calculator: Can do almost every calculation involving, TWS, TWA, COG, BRG, VMG, VMC, DST, delay, ETA, etc..
6. Special view at a polar

---
These are some features I want to add:
- Show best VMG angles and "polar hop"-locations in "Pro Polar View"
- Make "Super Pro Polar View" better (have you figured out what it is yet?)
- Make a nice drawing representing the most important numbers in the calculator (so that stupidities get noticed in time)
- Connect with SOL for live boat data
- N.N.

If you can think of any improvement or addition I'd like to hear it. If you find bugs or have trouble of some other kind, please do tell me.

---
Instructions:
1. Download (.zip

if you have no clue what .tar.gz is)
2. Extract to a location of your choice
3. Run the jar file, (can be done via terminal/command prompt: "java -jar SPINNACER.jar")
4. Open a polar file (three polars are included in the download)

---
Have fun!
-kroppyer

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-10-01 21:54:08 ---
Admittedly I have a Legacy system which is OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) so I am posting the errors that showed when the file failed to launch.

Issues reported & noted:

--- Last Edited by A2R at 2013-10-02 02:23:37 ---
None so blind
The file can be run with java 7 (aka 1.7) and java 6 (aka 1.6)

I've changed some of the source code so that it should be compatible with java1.4, but calculator-part is a little more work to change. So have a go at this one, see if it works, and then I might make the calculator java1.4 compatible.

SPINNACER for java 1.4 [link broken, see homepage]
(I've not tested it)

If anyone else cannot run the normal version, but can run this version, please do tell me, then I know how many people are waiting for a java 1.4 compatible calculator.

---
Meanwhile, I will post some screenshots and explanations. So that people know what to expect, and decide whether it's useful to put time and effort into getting it to work (which isn't so hard on normal up-to-date computers, no offence A2R :) )

EDIT: stripped this version further down, but it works now. but its slower, and half the functionality is missing.

EDIT: version for java 1.4 available on request. Version for java 1.5 online on homepage.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2013-10-01 22:59:16 ---

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2013-10-02 00:13:40 ---

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2013-10-05 19:40:43 ---

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2013-10-05 19:41:02 ---
I've made a guide, to help you out if you have a problem getting the thing to work, or just to let you have a look at what you are getting yourself into before putting in the time and effort of downloading. It's usually quite easy to get it to run, but I can understand some have a little more trouble, and would want to know if it's worth it.

GUIDE TO SPINNACER
I hope I make Port soon there is a Polar Bear stalking me :)
None so blind
oops, should've posted on "www.sailonline.org", not "sailonline.org" (where I'm logged in as sol)

see below post
-kroppyer

--- Last Edited by sol at 2013-10-05 19:34:40 ---
spinnacer v1.1 beta is available.
Java 1.6/1.7 (default) tar/zip
Java 1.5 tar/zip

changes:
- polar hop locations are shown in Pro Polar View (after super pro polar view has done its calculations)
- in Pro Polar View there is now a Slider to change TWS.
- use right click+drag to zoom if you can't use a mouse wheel to scroll.
- in Pro Polar View, left click to keep twa and vmc lines on current location (click again to let them follow the mouse again)
- You will automatically be notified if there are new versions
- The polar bear is included in the download and won't be downloaded again each time you start the application, you will now be able to bear away and head up properly when you are offline.
- added two new polars

There is no updated guide yet, as it's still a beta version.
Is your Avatar some kind of Fractal Lissajous pattern ?
None so blind
Yes, it is a fractal, or rather, they are fractals.

I found it somewhere in the messy, dusty place that is part of my hard-drive, looking for something else. I thought it looked cool, and deserved a better place. So I took the dust of, and there it is :D
Version 1.1-beta is now deemed stable and released as version 1.1
An updated guide is available. Links in the above post have updated automatically, but here are the most important links again:

sol.kroppyer.nl
Latest .tar.gz
Latest .zip
Latest .tar.gz (for java 1.5)
Latest .zip (for java 1.5)
GUIDE to SPINNACER 1.1

Oh, and the new guide contains a small explanation of Super Pro Polar View, so anyone still curious can take a look.

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

CA 500 2024

In 2019, the organisers of the California Race Week introduced a new longer distance event for the world’s very largest maxi trimarans in town that year intent on setting new records for the TransPac Ocean Race on its 50th anniversary. This CA 500, 500nm from San Francisco to San Diego, was repeated in 2023, but this year it will be an online only event, as it is a lot more straightforward to get a fleet of Maxi trimarans out on the virtual water, than in real life.
Race #1799
INFO by brainaid.de
Maxi Tri PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: SYC - CRW
Race starts: May 25th 17:40 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Capt Anderson's Resupply TIMED Race 2024

Welcome back to the Pacific Northwest for a race that takes us around the southern end of Vancouver Island and up the west coast as we supply six lights. The leg starts in Victoria, and we sail into the open water of the Salish Sea. After making our way up the west coast we must go up the narrow channel to restock in Port Alberni. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1809
INFO by brainaid.de
11 Metre OD PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
01 June at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: May 19th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Vasco da Gama Ocean Race 2024

Join us at Sailonline for a thrilling adventure in the 2024 Vasco da Gama Ocean Race! This event is the most prestigious and longstanding international sailing competition in South Africa, offering a unique journey steeped in history. Traditionally setting sail from the picturesque bay of Maputo, Mozambique's enchanting old Portuguese colonial capital, the race has charted a new course in recent years. This edition will see competitors navigating a challenging 250-nautical-mile course from Durban to East London. Adding to the excitement, this year our SOLers will harness the speed and power of our fleet of Carkeek 40s!
Race #1807
INFO from brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: May 19th 08:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Neumayer Station to Biscoe Wharf 2024

It’s Autumn now in Antarctica, the sun is permanently below the horizon, but during the day, from c 0900 to c 1700 local time, there is some twilight – nautical twilight, not to be confused with civil twilight which is brighter. The penguins are starting to huddle together to keep warm and the sea ice is growing. Time to get back to Biscoe Wharf then, before the water becomes impassible. Including a detour past Argentina’s main two Antarctic stations, it’s only 1900nm, so, although we’ll be in a hurry, we will take the bigger, better ice-classed Paratii 2 once more, just to be sure!
Race #1766
INFOby brainaid.de
Paratii 2 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: May 13th 19:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client