Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Race Proposals for the Committee

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Ah, one of my best sails ever was between Borkum and Cuxhaven, about 90 NM. My father and I had been blocked by a storm for 3 days in Borkum, on our way to Denmark. I was around 14 years old. After 3 days, we were both more than a bit bored of the place.

As soon as the storm started to abate, we left Borkum. To get out to the North Sea, we had the wind, still at force 8, exactly on the nose. It was tough. After a while, my father asks: do we continue? I answer: I see a chunk of blue sky ahead of us, it should be okay once we turn.

And indeed, it proved more than okay. We really went fast that day, with the wind at force 7-8 on the side, plus the favourable current for 8 out of 11-12 hours or so.

Sorry for the digression... :-O

Almost perfect Tempest. I would merge the invitation into the description, and work a bit on the text. :)
Text has never been my strongest point but i will make something of it.Find attached an updated copy

Although i have never sailed in my life i have been at sea for 7 years working in tugboats.
German bight can be fierce, I broke a tow there once in bad weather.

--- Last Edited by Tempest at 2010-01-08 08:07:44 ---
Attachments
I would like to submit the Super Mac Race on Lake Michigan and Huron. Hopefully this hasn't already been submitted =) Thanks!

--- Last Edited by direfloyd at 2010-01-12 19:48:10 ---
Attachments
Sorry, false login

Francois (Incognito)

--- Last Edited by file complaints here at 2010-01-14 09:00:54 ---
OK. The one problem I see is that, if we want to mirror the real race, this race will compete directly with Chicago-McKinack. In this respect, running the return race, Port Huron to Chicago, would be easier.
This thread is getting quite long. I suggest to post the next race proposal in a new forum thread.

Regards,

Francois
Since they ran the super mac last year it won't happen again until 2019. I thought it might be a good filler race if you need one, if not don't worry about it. Thanks.
The Mackinac Races held every year are highlighted beyond the Sailing community and are given widespread publicity in the Great Lakes Region. While the "Super Mac" is not run on an annual basis it is actually run in conjunction with the races sponsored by the Port Huron Bayview Y.C. & the Chicago Y.C.

The Yachts involved in this compound event simply race from the finish of the first race to the start of the other one.

It would be possible therefore to run this as a composite of three legs without any conflicts

--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2010-01-14 19:31:55 ---
None so blind
Question:

Has there ever been a re-enactment of the great square rigger grain races from south Australia to Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Grain_Race

If not I might submit a proposal for one, since I enjoyed the recent Cape Horn race.
Such a race would probably take about two months to complete. I am aware that a number of SOLers would like to play super-long races such as that one. The problem is that resource contraints on SOL limit the number of active races to two at the same time.

Running just one super-long race would therefore crowd out other type of races for a long time. And that is unlikely to please a majority of SOlers.

I have to be honest here. As a member of the race committee, I am holding out against super-long races until some solution can be found to run more than 2 races at the same time.

One solution would be for SOL to get more money, either in the form of sponsors or by getting more people to join the SYC. Another solution might be to reduce the resource requirements of super-long races by sort of degrading their performance, for example the update frequency.

Anyway, there is no immediate solution in sight.

Sorry,

Francois

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client