Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Race Proposals for the Committee

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Greetings Incognito,

I have had a good sleep after completing my 2nd crossing of the Atlantic, with significant improvement to my 1st attempt. I took a look at the 3rd file attachment in your list this morning to examine the Ashland Breakwater Light finish line detail. I have only just recently downloaded Google Earth for this very exercise and I am not well versed in its feature set at this point. I do not know how to export my coordinates into the dot KMZ file format necessary for these SOL preparations. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

I see that in order to have a finish line of the standard 4 nm length Chequamegon Bay is barely wide enough so I understand your placement of it short of but still parallel to the Ashland breakwater barrier. For comparison I have attached a capture of my original coordinates & the full length finish line, Even if my proposed line was modified and extended it could only perhaps be at most 2 nm in length.

I offer this more as an observation than a request for any further changes as the race itself is the main goal, aesthetics aside.

Please proceed to put the matter onto the calendar as its suits the SOL community.
None so blind
Attachments
Correct. I made the finish line longer, and had to move the finish as consequence. Keep in mind that boats might want to cross the finish on delayed commands (at night for example). A longer finish line helps in this respect. ;)
I understand that Sleep Management is a key component for many here at SOL and this race even though a shorter format might have that aspect to consider as well.

However, the longer legs on this particular course come early on but the finish through the Apostle Islands National Seashore and the approach to the finish line requiring a rounding of the Chequamegon Point Light in order to gain access to the finale will necessitate an active hand under any circumstances.

So it would be better to sleep early and start on DC's than to try to find the finish in a similar fashion

Given the confines of Chequamegon Bay a line of normal dimensions that completely spans its width requires no skill what-so-ever to intersect. Therefore, upon further review, please reconsider to an amended finish configuration. One that projects from the Ashland Breakwater Light along the original alignment. Whatever it lacks in length will be compensated for by the fact that the angles available to its crossing are more than sufficient as the last waypoint is so close to the finish.

--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2009-11-22 16:30:50 ---
None so blind
Attachments
a couple of ideas for the RC

Victoria- Maui, and Van Isle 360 (did the former a while back and wouldn't mind doing it again! say on a Santa Cruz 50

Cheers

Nick
Greetings Aethereal,

Would you prefer to have your race during the week-end or during the week?

The Race Committee was initially thinking of starting your race in the evening of 18 December, a week-end race thus.

However, there is another race (confidential at this stage) which we have to organize during the week-end. Should you prefer to have your race during the week, then we would place that other race during the week-end of 18 December, and launch your race the week thereafter, probably on 22 December.

However, if you prefer to have your race during the week-end, we will keep things as they are and look for another week-end to organize the other race.

Cheers,

Francois
Please run the race on the week-end of the 18 th, as you suggest, the later start would be in conflict with holiday travel plans & I would be unable to participate.

Thank you for your & the committee's assistance in bringing this race to fruition

--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2009-12-10 19:52:14 ---
None so blind
OK. We still have the finish line and one waypoint to sort out on the proposed course of your race. As I am travelling this week-end, I will probably post something on the forum on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Francois
Submitted for your Consideration

Gnu Coordinates:

Ashland Breakwater Light: (unchanged)
Latitude 46.628180°
Longitude -90.870480°

Mid=Point of Finish Line:
Latitude 46.636300°
Longitude -90.892480°

End of Finish Line Buoy:
Latitude 46.644420°
Longitude -90.914480°

-------------------

Chequamegon Point Light
to the Ashland Breakwater Light
is 7.50 miles with a bearing of 203°

Chequamegon Point Light
to the Mid-Point of the Finish Line
is 7.50 miles with a bearing of 212°

Chequamegon Point Light
to the End of Finish Line Buoy
is 7.67 miles with a bearing of 221°

Ashland Breakwater Light
to the End of Finish Line Buoy
is 2.39 miles with a bearing of 299°
None so blind
Attachments
Hi Aethereal,

In the attached kmz file, you will find alternative routes to pass two of your waypoints that are technically possible in SOL.

You have probably not thought about these possibilities, and probably do not want them to be used. I therefore suggest to add two new waypoints which will eliminate these alternative routes.

I have also reset the center of the finish line according to your wishes, but made the line as long as possible.

Regards,

Francois
Attachments
Thank you Incognito for your waypoint amendments which insure that the original path will be run as intended.

Also the Finish Line details are much appreciated as well

You suggest a 20:00 utc starting time on Friday.

If this could be set even earlier, say for 17:00 - 18:00 utc then that is my only other recommendation to get things started so the whole of the race can be completed by Sunday Midnight,

Thank you for your efforts to make this race possible.

--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2009-12-17 02:25:46 ---
None so blind

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client