Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Match Racing

Page: Previous 1 2

An interesting idea Rod.

One consideration would be a "local noon" start for boats all flying the same flag, therefore that "Nation based" division would have the same start time.

Then again a local "noon" or 1200hrs may not suit people who may prefer an evening after work time e.g. 1800 or 2000.

Problem comes when people are racing under their national flag, but IRL are working, visiting, living etc in some oher country.

This would then suggest divisions based upon what time Zone one is or wishes to be in.
This would create say 27 divisions as we in NZ are currently GMT/UTC+13 so some where there may be some in Alaska who may be in GMT/UTC-13 and with GMT/UTC of "Zero" could create my 27 divisions.

IRL most yacht races are utterly chaotic prior to the start gun and magically they all line up nicely. It is about the only sport I know that does not get all the starters in a neat straight line to start. Most races over my many years would have all starters away within a few minutes, with a common maximum of say 5 minutes. Further most start lines are relatively short, under 1nm in length and so SoL's start "circle" works, given that most races are over 100nm.

If there was to be development time on prestart tactics and monoeverings, then perhaps introducing a 3 boat length "ZONE" around each boat to follow the IRL RRS giveway rules could be more useful of those resources. If you go into that "zone" the boat in error has NOT given way and some penalty (TWA=0 for x minutes) could be imposed. Of course a NO PROTEST clause may be needed.

Perhaps then having divisions based on say groups of 10 boats in each start could provide some "match" racing scenarios. Each division could be at 5 minute starts, as IRL, and with normal late and non starters, many divisions might shrink to say 7 boats, giving closer match racing tactics an opportunity to shine. Having only 2 boats in a match race will be disappointing when your oponent does NOT START. Hence my suggesting 10 entries per division.

Some thoughts to ponder and considering all new ideas "IS" worth while.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
I see no specific need for divisions here. All boats could still start at once--DCs can be calculated and set to insure a boat is not over early--the line could be extended to several miles in length to spread out the fleet--choice of starting point on the line would overcome some of the objections relating to 'following' a 'star' sailor ( not naming anyone called 76.....).
Provided the programming could be done without great expense, the idea seems to me to be only favourable to the 'realism' of the racing game.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
An alternative to varying the start time (which sounds like a Mark Foy race to me, fastest boat starts last and has to catch everyone) would be simply to handicap the race.

This could be done with the results so no extra server requirement. It could either be done per boat per race or via divisions (1-10 ranking handicap 1, 11-20 0.99 etc). This would allow low ranked boats a chance of "winning". This is all pretty similar to IRL so we should be familiar with it.

Kevin
I am watching the TV replay of the start of this leg from Abu Dhabi....and note the use of a short in-port style of 'around the buoys' racing to begin the leg. Could this be incorporated into SOL? It would also have the feature of spreading the fleet, inhibiting the "following" problem, and put a greater premium on boat-handling---all of which would increase both the interest and the realism of the SOL racing model.
Rod: On your first post in this thread you stated:
"I've an idea for how to run a match racing series that hopefully would not add much to admin or server requirements."

Match racing is boat against boat, just as in AC finals etc.

So 2 boats racing in SoL would be boring and so I wondered what would happen if your opposition failed to start. All over rover, nothing achieved, no result.

I do accept your wishes to have a chance of winning, with tactics between boats being a more major factor than simple boat speed. Unfortunately SoL does not do this currently. Therefore if there were only a few boats racing then if one could cover, tack to force them further away from marks etc as IRL, then that would certainly be interesting to try.

As a compromise, a small fleet of say 10 boats, would make a very competitive scenario. It could even become a ladder type event where the first, second and third boats move up into the next round until a final race of less than 10 starters; others being eliminated.

In simple terms it could be as close to match racing as SoL can get to practically and without major programming development. Each division would be like a different class of boats, just like the Tall Ships recent races where one could choose a type of boat to race.

The only alternative is to follow what we Kiwis (NZL_boats) have already been doing in the past years and have a national prize of a bottle of rum for first in the major races. Then one forgets about the rest of the world, and concentrates solely on beating the kiwi nearest to you. It becomes close match racing for real except the getting cold and wet stuff!!!
My 'shtick' isn't the match racing idea, but the 'start line' concept. I think that adding to the realism of SOL would add greatly to the interest for 'Off-season' racers (such as myself, in the Northern Hemisphere, where the water has become frozen). Starting is a large part of sail racing, and I don't think it would add greatly to the programming complexity, as the 'finishing and mark rounding' programming already includes most of the details.
My apologies Rod.

Yes I can understand the pre-start tactical positioning could be interesting, if an advantage could be gained for the race. Certainly the keenest awake at starting time will enjoy but many others asleep or working will have set DCs.

I also agree with you, that any inport around the buoys should be included in the SoL course, to achieve SoL's stated realism aim.

--- Last Edited by NZL_PaulR at 2012-01-21 23:25:54 ---
Starting is a large part of sail racing, and I don't think it would add greatly to the programming complexity, as the 'finishing and mark rounding' programming already includes most of the details.
======================
Indeed it is in a 'Round the Buoys' race lasting 1.5 - 2.5 hrs, in a 5000nm race it would be insignificant. You mention spreading the fleet - just look at the 'fan' resulting from ALL race starts on SOL - it is quite spread already ??

I think it is important to keep in mind what Sailonline's main line is - Simulating Ocean races... These shorter ones have been added in later, and are great to race - indeed also add a certain element of boat handling on occasion (the right polar in the right conditions) and offer an experience requiring quite different skill-set to these long VOR legs.

But there is already enough to contend with for non-sailors, and sailors alike, without adding ROW rules etc...

SOL just inst intended to cater for 'Pre-start manoeuvring' etc - Download and/or purchase VSK if you want that sort of racing ;-)

It also helps to keep threads on topic - you will get more repsonses, which may just result in some idea or the other making its way into SOL ;-)
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Quick reminder that daily "practice racing" uses a start line. The marks are left in place and can be used by any groups wanting to match race at times other than those run by RC.

For SOL, the favoured end is almost always obvious - more so if we can't adjust marks within an update of the start. Luff at the starting end and it's just like now.

Without full RRS and boat vs boat influence/dimensions it doesn't work, and the timescales don't make sense. Our boats move a hundred metres at a time. SOL is an ocean racing simulator.

At practice race scale (two hours max) the line sometimes matters. Winning margins in SOL races can be hours.

Page: Previous 1 2

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Neumayer Station to Biscoe Wharf 2024

It’s Autumn now in Antarctica, the sun is permanently below the horizon, but during the day, from c 0900 to c 1700 local time, there is some twilight – nautical twilight, not to be confused with civil twilight which is brighter. The penguins are starting to huddle together to keep warm and the sea ice is growing. Time to get back to Biscoe Wharf then, before the water becomes impassible. Including a detour past Argentina’s main two Antarctic stations, it’s only 1900nm, so, although we’ll be in a hurry, we will take the bigger, better ice-classed Paratii 2 once more, just to be sure!
Race #1766
INFOby brainaid.de
Paratii 2 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: May 13th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Mellum to Trischen PYOC 2024

The next installment of the sprint race series sees us paying an all too rare visit to the German coast for a 30nm Pick Your Own Course race in Fox 9.50’s. Along the way enjoy the company of the popular harbour seals that populate the Wadden Sea.
Race #1810
INFO by brainaid.de
Fox 9.5 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SPRQ2 - SPRCH - SUPSOL – SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
May 15 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 11th 09:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client