Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Sailonline Race Committee » Race proposals » Aaron Gage Round Australia.

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last

A long time ago there was a sort-of convention established with respect to week races that are not buddied or mirroring real ones, namely that they start at the UTC equivalent of 1800/1900 LOCAL so that those in that region/country are able to start their local race in their evening.

I think it might be the decent thing to do to keep to this here? Aaron's family are aware of our plans so, who knows, may participate in the series in some way :-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-07-24 17:46:13 ---
That would be a rare honour indeed...
I like to talk a lot... sometimes I even make sense, mostly not...
Vince Nel (WW) said @ 2012-07-24 17:44:45:
Impressive Tyger... you have given this lots of thought.
Thanks WW, but it becomes intuitive after 46 years sailing around this part of the world

--- Last Edited by Tyger at 2012-07-29 17:38:27 ---
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.
Count on me for any form of tribute to Aaron.
As and where the output will be in Maritronco
Attachments
Argggg I was wrong!
I wanted to put the photo on the avatar and I have come as an attachment, sorry.
Someone can tell me how to do
maritronco - this is really a question for the Technical Forum, but its very simple - just click on the Edit Profile option and scroll down to where you can choose a file to upload as avatar :-)
Tyger - do you have the start/finish coords for the races yet?

We don't have to go the full GoogleEarth creation route, providing we have start/finish/waypoint coords and in this case an explanation of what each leg represents (that's pretty much already done in this thread).

What would also be useful is a note of the bounds for each race. The racing zone is a box with min/max lats/lons and it would be good to know how big the boxes should be for each race.

At present we have only a couple of weathersystems for Australian races, so once we have the individual legs here, I can see what else needs to be set up.

If it would help to have a quick Skype session to run through this, then just holler!

:-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-07-28 11:58:17 ---
RC - Been a bit under the weather with the flu (winter here) and sinuses have been running like a tap. Clearing up now. I plan to finish off Leg1, Adelaide to Melbourne details tomorrow (Sunday) and will included bounding box co-ords.
Details of the other legs will follow quickly.
I used Skype in the early days when sound quality was poor. Because I make lots of international calls, the telco package I have now includes calls to UK & USA at 2 cents per minute ($0.02) - dirt cheap & high quality. If you email your phone number, I'll call so we can co-ordinate race details.
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.
Details of Leg1: Adelaide to Melbourne

Please check attached .kmz file.
Any comments welcome.

RC - suggested weather coverage

-32.67 134.23 Northwest corner
-41.58 150.04 Southeast corner

Last edit adjusted sailing distance to 480 NM

--- Last Edited by Tyger at 2012-07-30 00:45:50 ---
Tyger

Brilliant!!
Well Done.

SP

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Shetland Winter Race 2022
A-OI!!! The cry should soon be ringing out in the streets of Lerwick as the Guizer Jarl and his crew, along with the other teams in the Up Helly Aa parade complete their preparations for the biggest fire festival in Europe. While Shetland continues to manage #COVID19 well, Up Helly Aa has been cancelled but this won't stop SOLers racing their Elan 410s this 383nm course from Aberdeen to be sociable in Lerwick Harbour. SAILING NOTE: Gruney may be approached from any direction but must be passed for rounding purposes as indicated on the chart.
Race #1554
INFO by brainaid.de
Elan 410 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Jan 23rd 11:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Sail Newport Timed Race 2022

Welcome to Rhode Island in our first TIMEDrace this year. In 2020 we raced on Maxi Trimarans, now we will see how fast we can cover the 87nm route around Block Island, Fishers Island and back to the clubhouse on MC 38 monohulls. The previous record of 4 hours 5 minutes and 21 seconds belongs to Kipper1258. Try to judge your weather window well, but once you've finished (you must have finished), you can always try again (as often as you like) by clicking the link below.
RE-REGISTER HERE to race again after finishing a run.
Race #1549
INFO by brainaid.de
MC 38 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
RANKING: TRQ1-TRCH-SUPSOL-SYC
REGISTRATION CLOSE: Sunday, 23 January at 2200utc
RACE CLOSE: Sunday, 23 January at 2300utc
Race starts: Jan 10th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Rio 2022

Welcome to South Africa and RCYC's classic transatlantic Cape2Rio Race from Cape Town, South Africa, to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. First run in 1971, the next race in reality will be in January 2023, but in the meantime you can test yourself on-course in this, our second virtually-only Cape2Rio Race, which we will once again be sailing in Mark Mills' 74ft speedster, the stunning C2R74.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1537
INFO by brainaid.de
C2R74 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
OCQ1 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
January 25 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jan 02nd 14:00 Registration Closed

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Kipper1258
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Dingo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client