Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Sailplanner users can connect to brainaids NMEA proxy!!

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Thanks Stag I have the NMEA proxy going now step by step what is the next thing (yes you can consider me an infant with Linux)
Take it "ESEA" go sailing
Thanks Stag I have the NMEA proxy going now step by step what is the next thing (yes you can consider me an infant with Linux)
OK, good so far. Infant you say, files starting with a dot are hidden. In the terminal you can list them with the command "ls -la", just in case you didn't know.

To check if the proxy is working you kan try the command "telnet localhost 5010". Then you shall see the NMEA data coming. To exit telnet hit ^] (ctrl-altgr-9 then enterkey), at the telnet prompt type quit.

If that goes well you can try the socat thing.
OK, good so far. Infant you say, files starting with a dot are hidden. In the terminal you can list them with the command "ls -la", just in case you didn't know.

To check if the proxy is working you kan try the command "telnet localhost 5010". Then you shall see the NMEA data coming. To exit telnet hit ^] (ctrl-altgr-9 then enterkey), at the telnet prompt type quit.

If that goes well you can try the socat thing.
Yeeha! Got the NMEA data running in the terminal Hitting the ^] did nothing nor did (ctrl-altgr-9 then enterkey) that is if "altgr" is the "Alt" key I just X the terminal and it said that if you do that it will terminate the process. OK I will come back to you on the next part
Ok I have the NMEA Proxy Running and I then did the "$ mkdir ~/dev" thing but it told me it already exists,(I had already made it yesterday)
Now when I enter:
$ socat pty,link=~/dev/vty0,waitslave tcp:localhost:5010
I Get:
2011/01/16 21:55:02 socat2161 E symlink("/dev/pts/2", "~/dev/vty0"): No such file or directory
and I am stuck again :(

--- Last Edited by ESEA at 2011-01-16 21:02:08 ---

--- Last Edited by ESEA at 2011-01-16 21:02:53 ---
Now when I enter:
$ socat pty,link=~/dev/vty0,waitslave tcp:localhost:5010
I Get:
2011/01/16 21:55:02 socat2161 E symlink("/dev/pts/2", "~/dev/vty0"): No such file or directory
and I am stuck again :(
OK, this one I can fix, I think. Change ~ to $HOME. Or, if you already are at home, you can remove ~/ from your command.

Something like this.
socat pty,link=$HOME/dev/vty0,waitslave tcp:localhost:5010

I'll try to edit my original post in case someone else would try and run into the same proplem.

Cheers!
OK, this one I can fix, I think. Change ~ to $HOME. Or, if you already are at home, you can remove ~/ from your command.

Something like this.
socat pty,link=$HOME/dev/vty0,waitslave tcp:localhost:5010

I'll try to edit my original post in case someone else would try and run into the same proplem.

Cheers!
OK I think we are getting some ware. As much as I know (as I said thats not much) things in the terminal seem to be OK but in SailPlanner the NMEA setup gives a (6, 'SetupComm', 'Invalid handle') thanks for the help so far but I have to go now see you tomorow
ESEA
Thanks a lot too Magnus Schoultz!!
That's the 1+only how-to-do for Mac users!
greets
Sailplanner.

Where can I get maps for IMOCA leg 3 ?
Hi Magnus,
Can you please create a step-by-step instruction for the mac-version like Exmer's Windows tutorial? I would babysit your boat whenever you want ;-))

regards

StuArt/Berth
OK, StuArt, I'll try :)

open Brainaid's proxy from the website and login.

download and start MultiCom.
set Port A to "Pseudo Terminal" and
set Port B to "IP Client" and enter the IP-address and port number from brainaid's proxy as "Server Host Name" and "Server Port".
check both as enabled. make a note of the device it's connected as ex. /dev/ttys001

open a terminal window and enter:
sudo ln -s /dev/ttys001 /dev/tty.NMEA

start sailplanner and check "lock to NMEA"
choose tty.NMEA in sailplanner's NMEA setup window

click the start button in brainaid's proxy

click the check button in sailplanner's NMEA setup window

if you get a green OK everything worked
hi there. i tried this on my macbook as well. didnt get it to work though.
not sure where the issue is.

the multicom says its connected as "/dev/ttys000" not "...001". i got the 2 green lights though. not sure where to change this. ???

in the brainaid proxy all seems fine.

then in the sailplanner NMEA setup, when i click "check" it tells me "could not open port /dev/tty.NMEA: (2, 'No such file or directory)"

in the terminal window i copied the line as you said above. it did ask me for my password, but wouldn't let me type it. i kind of pressed entered a couple of time and then it said something like "file exists". do i have to copy that line every time i connect and want to play or just once and thats it? is there a way back to start again?

got stuck a bit here.... can anybody help?
would love to play around with this a bit.
cheers

(attached a screenshot)

--- Last Edited by Justin Limbo at 2011-05-27 13:18:56 ---
Attachments
any suggestions anybody?

--- Last Edited by Justin Limbo at 2011-06-19 07:42:02 ---
hi there. i tried this on my macbook as well. didnt get it to work though.
not sure where the issue is.

the multicom says its connected as "/dev/ttys000" not "...001". i got the 2 green lights though. not sure where to change this. ???

in the brainaid proxy all seems fine.

then in the sailplanner NMEA setup, when i click "check" it tells me "could not open port /dev/tty.NMEA: (2, 'No such file or directory)"

in the terminal window i copied the line as you said above. it did ask me for my password, but wouldn't let me type it. i kind of pressed entered a couple of time and then it said something like "file exists". do i have to copy that line every time i connect and want to play or just once and thats it? is there a way back to start again?

got stuck a bit here.... can anybody help?
would love to play around with this a bit.
cheers

(attached a screenshot)

--- Last Edited by Justin Limbo at 2011-05-27 13:18:56 ---
two things. It does let you enter a password, but in the unix world there's no visual clue when you're entering passwords.
Since multicom is reporting /dev/ttys000, you should be using "sudo ln -s /dev/ttys000 /dev/tty.NMEA"

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client