Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Sailplanner users can connect to brainaids NMEA proxy!!

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Hi Magnus,
Can you please create a step-by-step instruction for the mac-version like Exmer's Windows tutorial? I would babysit your boat whenever you want ;-))

regards

StuArt/Berth
OK, StuArt, I'll try :)

open Brainaid's proxy from the website and login.

download and start MultiCom.
set Port A to "Pseudo Terminal" and
set Port B to "IP Client" and enter the IP-address and port number from brainaid's proxy as "Server Host Name" and "Server Port".
check both as enabled. make a note of the device it's connected as ex. /dev/ttys001

open a terminal window and enter:
sudo ln -s /dev/ttys001 /dev/tty.NMEA

start sailplanner and check "lock to NMEA"
choose tty.NMEA in sailplanner's NMEA setup window

click the start button in brainaid's proxy

click the check button in sailplanner's NMEA setup window

if you get a green OK everything worked
Magnus:

WOW!

I had fiddled around with MultiCom before but couldn't figure out a way to do it. I had also tried VirtualSerialPort App and other OSX communication tools to no avail. The best I could do was get it to work on my old Ibook G4 (Leopard) whose dial up modem port apparently was working in loopback mode. On my newer MacBookPro I couldn't get it to work. I had been trying by using other software (PolarCom) to serve as the TCP-serial brigde but once the serial port is in use only one application (PolarCom) could read the port and the data couldn't be shared to Sailplanner.

Your step by step procedure works!!

Thanks!!

Cheers,

Antonio
Hi Magnus,

First: thanks for your effort.
It worked until I got the terminal-warning:
"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information."

That made me stop and think twice. Shall I proceed? Is it still safe? :-P

regards

Stu/Berth
Hi Stu!

Magnus' procedure works beautifully and will not mess up your computer, what the sudo (Super User "do") command does in this case is give you access to the nitty gritty of the data exchange between OS X communication ports. Your highly sensitive OS files will be OK. Try it!

Cheers!

Antonio
Hi,

EDIT This applies to Linux:

I had to copy the NMEAproxy.jnlp file to ~/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/
sailonline/toolbox
Then I made it read only!
$ chmod -w ~/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/
sailonline/toolbox/NMEAproxy.jnlp

no need to hop through these loops with the sun java packages. Apparently, the openjdk jre uses an outdated web start utility. Use the sun-java6-jre instead and brainaid's utility will work out of the browser.
Best, Jan

--- Last Edited by pangloss at 2011-01-03 22:15:14 ---

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2014-06-16 23:20:10 ---
Yet another method - for Windows XP

Many thanks to BrainAid and all the other contributors above without whose comments I would not have got to this point.

However, along the way, I encountered a number of errors from SailPlanner when attempting to connect it to a virtual COM port using VSPE and NavMonPC. For some reason these errors did not occur when connecting OpenCPN and other software to these COM ports but SailPlanner seems to be 'more particular' about what it will connect to.

So here is a description of how I have configured Sailplanner to connect to Brainaid's Proxy. This method uses HW Virtual Serial Port V2.5.10 which is also free to use.

It works for me. Your mileage may vary so please report any success or failure to help others following.

James
Attachments
It should be noted that trying to get your GPS data (from brainaid's proxy) into more than 1 program requires a different virtual COM port for each application. Using TCP client will increase the number of apps you can hook up, as more than 1 application can connect to the TCP port, unlike COM ports...

Also, if for some reason your program(s) cannot read the NMEA data on one of the polling cycles (BlueWater sometimes does this if there is much CPU/disk activity at the time it attempts a read) you will need to close that COM port(s) and restart it again.

In a nutshell, if you can read directly from brainaid's TCP proxy then use that method instead. Unfortunately not enough programs can accept NMEA over TCP connection...

Also Wild-by-name: What use do you put OpenCPN to? I downloaded it a while back and had a look, but cannot find anything that isnt in NavMon and BlueWater combined?? Actually any features in OpenCPN are better implemented in the other 2!?
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
I agree - TCP is much more flexible.
I was only using OpenCPN because I have it configured on the same laptop for IRL sailing and I knew that it would receive and display both the GPS position and the AIS stream.

When I am running a separate chart plotter without AIS then NavmonPC is my AIS client of choice - much more responsive and less demanding memory wise.

I have not tried Bluewater yet - must give it a go.

Regards,

James

--- Last Edited by Wild-by-name at 2011-01-14 12:08:09 ---
Can anyone help me here I am totally new to Ubuntu/Linux, and I would like to get this going on Ubuntu, I need a step by step all this code is uncharted water for me but I have managed to run the NMEAproxy.jnlp by placing it on the desktop and right clicking it selecting 'Open With' then 'Sun Java 6 Web Start' I have also got the Sailplanner going but not connected and that is as far as I can go the COM port thing is where I am stuck. Thanks for the help
Its the things like how do I "copy the NMEAproxy.jnlp file to ~/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox" that get me! I copy the code into the terminal and I get "bash: /home/edwin/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox: is a directory" then when I go to the file "/home/edwin/" I do not see the ".netx"
This is not a complete tutorial, just the major steps I took to get my SOL position into Sailplanner on linux. Details are omitted, I just want to say it works (but not out of the box). I'm sure there are better ways, perhaps already reported in the forum.

Try to start the brainaid proxy. It failed for me not passing an argument to the proxy.
I had to copy the NMEAproxy.jnlp file to ~/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox
Then I made it read only!
$ chmod -w ~/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox/NMEAproxy.jnlp

Then I tried again.
$ javaws NMEAproxy.jnlp
press start
Horray, it worked. Lets create a virtual serial port connected to the TCP-stream.
$ mkdir ~/dev
$ socat pty,link=~/dev/vty0,waitslave tcp:localhost:5010

Create com3 under wine using the new virtual serial port.
$ ln -s ~/dev/vty0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com3

Start Sailplanner under wine (assuming you already installed it)
lock to nmea...
select com3
press check
(perhaps you need to restart the virtual serial port if it died (socat))
press OK

Enjoy! Or at least I do:-)

--- Last Edited by ESEA at 2011-01-15 23:14:40 ---
Take it "ESEA" go sailing
Its the things like how do I "copy the NMEAproxy.jnlp file to ~/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox" that get me! I copy the code into the terminal and I get "bash: /home/edwin/.netx/cache/http/sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox: is a directory" then when I go to the file "/home/edwin/" I do not see the ".netx"
--- Last Edited by ESEA at 2011-01-15 23:14:40 ---
As said in another post above, the openjdk does not work as desired in this case. You could uninstall openjdk-6-... and install sun-java-6-...

Then try without that copying of the jnlp file.
Cheers!

--- Last Edited by stagfock at 2011-01-16 10:50:43 ---

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client