Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » rounded and disrounded

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi all, sorry could not find again the original post regarding the rounding of the marks.
Let me say:
1) Really well done Exmeromotu in rounding England
2) I am happy with the new system forcing the rounding in the correct way.

I admit I do not know the IRL rules so my questions here:
a)if a mark is "rounded", you are free to sail to the next one, whatever route?
b)why you get ,again , the "pass N" if you sail back??? (ok, is the logic implementation of the software...)
Full with admiration to Exme I tryed the short cut and was punished, no problem...

conclusion: bearing in mind 2) and a) would not make sense the a valid rounded mark stay with its status "locked"?
regards
Gilles
The purpose of the new system is that you always actually have to *round* each waypoint, "locking" roundings would mean this would not alway be true.

Illustration from 76Trombones hijacked form another thread: http://tinyurl.com/2ua4w8k

--- Last Edited by Kalle Haglunds at 2010-08-04 10:54:08 ---
Maybe we should rethink the set up for rounding. In the current Round GB Race,at the Muckle Flugga Mark, I can see where I might have gained by going the right way over the mark and going back to the other side of the island. More wind to the west. But why is the course of Exmeromotu and Jawz any different (other than going back to the south of Muckle Flugga) than getting the rounded signal and then turning back?

The current system was set up because of the confusion over an offshore mark to the north of an island off British Columbia. The course layout indicated a route around the island, but it was faster to go past the mark and back around the same side you'd just come up.

This really didn't solve that problem because it is still possible to double back around an offshore mark by doing 2 360s (see example G in 76's diagrams).

In any case I do not think that a boat should get the "rounded" signal and have it reversed later. In my case in the Round GB race 30 min after getting the rounded signal.

If the intent is to have all boats stay on a certain side of an island or course, then the best way I would think would be to place another mark (or marks) down course.

In my opinion I think the best way is to allow full choice of best course to next mark once a mark has been passed on the proper side.
I think the current rounding system is easy to communicate, fair and reflect most peoples intuitive feeling of how they should work. Give me a corner case were we can improve without disturbing the consistency of the rules, sure, but going back to the old system is not going to happen. See, I can be a good dictator at times :)
I was surprised to see that my rounded buoy was disrounded later. But it's logical with the new rules, to avoid that type of course. If I had known the rules I wouldn't have done that.
But I completely agree with the precedent posts. If you really want people to take a specific route it's more simple to place more marks.
Last thing : as Gilles, I don't understand the necessity of such a rule. I wasn't there when the subject was discussed, but I really don't understand. Everybody should be free to take the way he wants, as long as the marks are "rounded". Isn't it supposed to be a strategy and routing game? Or a little train behind Brainaid?

--- Last Edited by FR_marcoZZ at 2010-08-04 21:50:05 ---

--- Last Edited by FR_marcoZZ at 2010-08-04 21:51:54 ---
Guys, I did the Round Britain and Ireland Race twice double-handed. One of the rules is that you have to leave ALL islands at starboard side... So, what's the issue???? Going in BETWEEN islands is against the spirit of the official race.
"Sailing is an Art"
Once this SOL Round Britain and Ireland race is completed there will be two adjustments made to the course before it is archived... the waypoint at Flannen will be removed, to open up crazy routing up to the Shetlands and an additional waypoint will be put on the NE coast of Scotland :-D

How's that?
Removing the waypoint at Flannan and allowing the option to go east of the isle of Lewis might open up a new debate as you wont be going "Around Britain and Ireland"
As Cajun said in the IRL race you have to keep all islands to starboard thus making sure the boats go round Britain and ireland as the rece name suggests.

--- Last Edited by victory at 2010-08-05 18:30:59 ---
Hallo my friends ;)

the issue is much simpler than it appears. IRL there is a Race Committee that rules and its ruling cannot be challenged . At each mark we have to adhere to the TWO instructions we find there : 1) direction arrows and 2) correct side. I believe that example G in 76 recap is immaterial ( sorry Mathias ;))...In actual facts if that buoy is offshore you dont need to do all those 360s ...just round it correctly and then go where you want .....If it is onshore then the 360s would ground you , unless it is on a small island ..in that case too ...why doing the 360? ...round the little island in the correct direction and go where you want ....;) ;) ;)

ciao ciao
Piero
One of the rules is that you have to leave ALL islands at starboard side... So, what's the issue???? Going in BETWEEN islands is against the spirit of the official race.
Thanks for the IRL explanation, I was looking for this!

Nevertheless for sake of general discussion (do not want to challenge the rule emperor Kalle!!!)
just round it correctly and then go where you want

I can understand that when the mark is correctly rounded (WITHOUT crazy routing to GO there!!!)after it I am free....or not really?
I think that this is the corner case Kalle was looking for....
[Go to the mark and pass it correctly and after it go where you like...]

(except the if it is against the spirit as Cajun highlighted...)

P.S. do not tell this to Exme ;-)!

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: Apr 30th 01:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client