Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Poll / Discussion on Number of Races on SOL

Page: 1 2 Next

In June SOL experienced a period of lighter race volume and this provoked a lot of discussion with people wanting more races.

Three things have become apparent:

Ocean racers want an ocean race pretty much all the time - with maybe a week/10 days max. between races.

Those who work during the Mon-Fri workweek want races at weekends that are meant to be "complete-able"over a weekend.

Those who can only SOL in the evenings Mon-Fri and/or who mostly have weekend commitments want races that are during the week.

Consequently SOL has three SYC ranking categories for "week", "weekend" and "ocean" races.

Building a race calendar is fun but can be difficult, especially when Aeolus chooses to muck around with anticipated finish times!!

Oh and there must always be a race open for registration to permit newcomers to see what SOL is like!!

Anyway... right now.. the way the calendar is.. please vote on your opinion of current race volume.

In addition to voting, please also feel free to add comments!!!

PLEASE NOTE IT IS THE CIRCLE ABOVE EACH QUESTION THAT APPLIES (some have said they checked the circle below)!!

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-09-20 14:34:32 ---

Poll: What is your opinion of SOL's race volume right now?

You need to be logged in to vote.
Howdy!

I do understand that this is a very difficult issue and to meet everyone's needs are probably quite impossible.

My personal view of it all, is if the server allows it:

1) pretty much always try to have a "long race" on it´s way - that is, oceanraces spanning 2-3-4-5 weeks (in these races it´s often enough to check your boat once or maybe twice a day). ( ---> About 8-10 races/year)

2) Furthermore, weekraces (5-10 days duration) could be held say, twice a month. ( ---> About 20-25 races/year)

3) And weekend/sprint races could be held every weekend. ( ---> About 50 races/year)

However, this is just my humble opinion - nothing is wrong and nothing is right, I think the important thing is that there should be races for all tastes and the different opportunity to spend the time, we all do this because it´s fun!.
I think sprint races should be held also on week as many people Sol on work or on week and try to holiday weekends.
I agree in general with 'theviking71' but would like to suggest an additional aspect. Most races become almost pure geometry--I would like to see races with more navigation around islands and in channels. This should be in short races, spaced in time for people at other places around the world, and mostly on evenings and weekends. I would also like more realistic running starts, particularly in short races.Timed starts from a point do not match the reality of starting problems, which are a major part of yacht racing.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Having read the comments (or lack of...)I would like to suggest the addition of some aspects of the 'Racing Rules of Sailing' ( R.R.S ) as additions to the short course races. Of course, this will have to involve the possibility of actual collisions and the adjudication of Challenges to the the adjudication, all of which are REALLY part of sailing.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Of course, this will have to involve the possibility of actual collisions and the adjudication of Challenges to the the adjudication, all of which are REALLY part of sailing.
I don't think that is a viable option, really, since all boats start from the same coordinate. For your idea to work, a starting line that is long enough to accomodate 300+ boats and room for manouevring would be required. More importantly, it would make it impossible to start or even sail on dc.

Philip
There would need to be a period of time after the start and possibly before the finish when the RRS (Racing Rules) do NOT apply, because all the boats are too close together.

In ocean races, this may be the first 24 hours. After that time, RRS apply for Port v Starboard situations.

Unfortunately any software development would be wasted because I may be at work, asleep, away IRL sailing and so never realise I was in a close Port v Starboard situation(s).

This could be solved by having a "log book" generation report for each race. It would record times aground as well.

Another aspect could be wind shadowing, tacking to "cover" another yacht.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
START TIMES:

If the SOL race is being held at the same time as the "REAL LIFE" race, then the start times should be identical and this is the same as SoL's stated aim to be realistic as possible.

Yes this is hard on the many Europeans when races start from ports in India, China, Singapore etc. The reverse applies equally to the Americans (West coast more so), Australian & New Zealanders.

We have to set DC's for starts whilst we are asleep, or starting halfway through our weekends, rather than Friday "nights".

A suggestion would be to have two or three starts for different divisions about 2 or 3 hours behind the previous race. Equally I could debate that a series of delayed divisional starts would eventually reduce the attractiveness of the current SoL racing as one fleet.

USE of SAIL PROGRAMS.

I enjoyed using Sail Planner on a free test basis and learnt about their effectiveness.

Currently I am NOT using any special planning programs. I would like to Enter races with an option of :
"Do you use sail planning tools YES or NO"
This could seperate boats into two different divisions.

Yes it is not policeable and some may cheat, but as in IRL sailing, I do NOT use my motor for propulsion whilst racing.

Certainly Brainaid does really well and his program works for him. WELL DONE Eddie.

I would like to see how I am going against those who are NOT using those sail planning tools as well.
QUANTITY OF RACES.

I try and do as many as possible but as I race IRL 3 days a week in winter (in NZ now) and can race 7 days a week in NZ summer, short races around many islands will mean I will run aground often.

So I favour the longer ocean races where a morning and evening online check is all that is needed, well for a lot of time for longer races. e.g. current Maui - Mazatklan race.

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client