Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Discussion » Performance loss

Page: First Previous 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next Last

Kroppy,

Thank you for your work.

How are we to read the X-axis in the tack/gybe graph?
In particular, is this the initial BtSpd?
And, if so, don't we need to walk up the BtSpd value to the PERF curve to determine distance lost?

Need just a little more help here.

--- Last Edited by javakeda at 2013-12-20 13:17:58 ---
Really nice work with these new graphs. Could you also include one with Time as an Axis to show how long until full recovery for a range of boat speeds as well ?

--- Last Edited by A2R at 2013-12-20 14:35:47 ---
None so blind
One thing worries me about this current work on Performance Loss----The original calculation was apparently included in the programming to prevent unlimited and frequent tacking or gybing, which would be unrealistic.
However, the equations chosen set an equally unrealistic scenario, in which a yacht could be tacked or gybed with the speed falling by MORE than 7%, without the speed decreasing for additional turns. Yet if the speed fell by less than 7% in the first turn, an additional turn would cause an additional speed decrease.
This is not reasonable. If a yacht is tacked or gybed back-and-forth repeatedly, IRL, the speed will drop almost to zero.
The recovery from the performance loss depends more upon the weight of the boat in relation to its sail area, rather than to the ultimate speed that the hull can attain.
I mention these things because some people are obviously expending a lot of time and energy to clarify the existing Perf Loss calculations, when perhaps the original equations should instead be modified to reflect a more realistic model of IRL yacht performance.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Rod

The performance model is not realistic, I agree.

HOWEVER, the model effectively prevents tacking, gybing and hopping with an unrealistic frequency.

Something that is realistic: people that put time and effort in analysing the manoeuvres are able to execute the manoeuvres slightly better in some cases. The difference might be even bigger in reality than in SOL.

As far as I'm concerned, a better (more realistic) performance model does not have a high priority, there are a lot of other improvements that contribute to a more realistic experience.

This brings us to the unanswered question of Klyvarn: what can we do in designing a new performance model? And how will SOL (and it's community) react to a proposition for a new model?

I think we can brainstorm what we want about a new model, but the current model is good enough not to have any hurry.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2013-12-20 19:43:00 ---
I agree that the programming resources required to implement any change is not a simple undertaking.

Transparency in how the inherent behavior of your boat is affected by this penalty is what we should strive for to put us all on an equal footing.

Realism is a high minded Ideal but practical considerations will be the final arbiter.

Should that day arrive when these issues are addressed I propose that instead of Performance Loss we should call this a "Momentum Module" such that when pointing up performance can go higher than 100% for an appropriate length of time as well.
None so blind
I remember PERF values >100%. That was the approach that VORG used. VORG was my first virtual sailing environment.

My gut feel is that PERF values >100% help the SOTP skipper and the mobile skipper by penalizing the skipper who is making frequent course "corrections" -- often software-generated.

I like the concept, but am concerned about its application when there is a significant and protracted wind shift.

This should be a great topic for on-going discussion.
IRL I neither sail boats nor write software so please excuse my naïveté.

My concept is a transition based model determined by 2 variable coefficients that reside with each boat's polar csv file.

I imagine that boats take time to get up to speed as well as coast down when changing TWAs so one function would be momentum & the other time.

A Momentum coefficient of 1.0 would represent a linear transition & Time its duration. Momentum greater than 1 would be slightly convex & less than 1 concave along with its duration either of which could be defined by the type of maneuver undertaken.

Initially all boats could use identical coefficients, no different than it is now, but would allow for future development thereby giving each boat distinctive characteristics.

Even small nuances would cause influential separation of our fleet over the course of a race using existing composite polars.

--- Last Edited by A2R at 2013-12-21 06:38:01 ---
None so blind
There seems to be some worry that I am overly concerned with realism, and that this, in some way, interferes with successful racing. While SOL is definitely a "game", nevertheless it also acts as instruction in "Introductory Ocean Navigation for Sailing Yachts".
As a long time educator, I am always very aware that I shouldn't teach some concept that is wrong merely because it is convenient, easy or fashionable.
Even in this "game", therefore, I think that the performance of a yacht while changing course, tacking or gybing, should be represented as accurately as possible, just as much as it is in it's normal performance as represented by the many different Polar Diagrams that we use in each race.
One standard Polar Diagram for all yachts would be as wrong as one standard Perf Loss equation.
While a clipper ship and an 18 ft Australian skiff may both attain speeds of 15 knots, their perf loss and recovery would be very different.
I would suggest therefore that the "Dev Dudes" be requested to re-think this part of the SOL program. "IF" they do so, much of this effort to clarify the existing 'Perf Loss' problem would be wasted.

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2013-12-21 15:36:42 ---
I can see there are a few SOLers really engaged in the performance model.

In SOL of today, there are obviously a lot of matters, more unrealistic than the performance model. What can it be ?

Is it an improvement of realism to let the SOLers do high numbers of turnings?
Erasing lines of programming code might also make an improvement.

On the contrary! I would suggest a perf loss equation based upon the weight of the boat and it's speed. A light boat will obviously slow more quickly than a heavy boat, but will recover its speed (Accelerate) more quickly too. A heavy boat will take much longer to slow down, so will lose less speed during a turn/tack/gybe, but will also regain speed much more slowly.
On further consideration of the overall problem of the perf loss calculation, I have come to the conclusion that the fault lies with that 93%/7% divider. It is that divider that is un-realistic, and the main cause of the problem. If that 93/7 divider was eliminated, repeated turns in a short time would reduce boat speed close to zero---which is, after all, the ONLY purpose in having the perf loss calculation at all!!

Page: First Previous 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client